CF-19 Mk 2 maximum RAM

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by seb_r, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Ashley Mizuki

Ashley Mizuki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The practical maximum RAM for Intel Core 2 Duo chipsets is 8GB, as User32 noted, and as they also noted, 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM modules are expensive and often rather hard to find. Service manuals and the like often list 4GB as the maximum RAM because either 4GB sticks weren't available when the specs were written or Intel's marketing materials incorrectly claimed that only 4GB is supported.

I currently have 5GB (1+4GB) of RAM installed on my CF-19FHGAXNS; it was quite a performance boost to go from 2GB to 4GB (since Windows XP is a 32-bit OS and thus it cannot even use the whole 5 gigabytes properly). I've been trying to find an affordable 4GB stick so that I could eventually get rid of the 1GB stick, although that's gonna be somewhat annoying since it requires taking the laptop apart.

Depending on your financial resources and intended use cases etc. you may indeed want to consider a newer CF-19 which supports DDR3, but if this isn't an option for you, rest assured -- Mk2 CF-19's do support more than 4GB of installed RAM. :)

Shawn likes this.
  2. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Problem is it's hit and miss on if it will boot the 4gb stick I found, on the CF-30 with a spindle drive it's easy, 8 gb nano USB stick and readyboost.
    No as easy on the 19 as the flap must be removed. SSD pretty much takes care of the issue.

toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  3. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is an SD slot and modern SD cards are very fast.

safn1949 likes this.
  4. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Silly me never considered that, I just run an SSD in mine.....that collects dust with the other 3.:D

5. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use my MK1 pretty frequently, but mostly for car diagnosis too. I am just running 3GB. Best thing I did for a real speed increase, was to put Linux Mint on it. At least one of my car diagnostics programs is available for Linux. The other I am not sure about yet.

I know that the SSD drive made a MASSIVE difference on my MK5. And on this MK1 I am running the Linux off a USB drive plugged into the WWAN port.

These upgrades have made it fast enough it may get daily use and internet browsing is even speedy.