CF-19 - Loss of sound from internal speakers

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by s4biturbo, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s4biturbo

s4biturbo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,
    I am new to the forums here, nice to find a place for toughbook heads!

Well I recently picked up a cf-19 mkii second hand and had reloaded it with XP Tablet Edition. Everything installed great, only one unknown driver in which I am assuming is the wireless broadband card that was in there.

Now my sound was working fine a couple days ago and I just noticed it's no longer working. I plugged in some headphones and the sound is working there, all my hotkeys for the audio controls are working as well. System is sp3 fully patched and has all of the latest panasonic drivers installed. I have tried removing the audio drivers and reinstalling but this did not change anything.

I fear that either the speaker/s?(honestly not sure if there are two or just one in the 19) just died or that something may have come loose inside. Although I would imagine this being a toughbook and all that all the internal points are clamped down well but I guess you never know.

So if any of the gurus here have any recommendations or advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

-Todd

2. Zippy-Man

Zippy-Man Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    check the device manager for sigmaltel audio codec. If it has a mark next to it then there is your problem. You need to right click on it and then select properties. After you are there then hit roll back driver. Once you do that reboot and try the speaker again.

This has happened to me i dunno how many times.

-James

3. s4biturbo

s4biturbo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi James,
    Well I do not have the sigmaltel audio codec listed, just the SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio. Also all of device mgr is clean, no warnings or errors aside from the uninstalled wireless broadband card.

Sound is still coming from the headphone jack so it appears that the driver is operational.

Thanks,

Todd

4. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Check your audio settings sometimes there is a setting for letting audio only out of the rear ports.

i doubt the speaker is bad unless you played super loud sounds and blew it out.

I am running vista now but make sure that it shows what i have in the red box or it is not even seeing the inside speaker.

-james

Attached Files:

5. s4biturbo

s4biturbo Newbie

Reputations:
    I am digging though all the settings but can't find one for exactly what you pointed out. I will post some screens of my settings in a bit, have to take my son to basketball practice now.

And no to the loud music, mostly streaming video and a little music. But not even slightly loud volumes.

It does seem like something is missing out of the SoundMAX control panel, there is a section for mic and general, under general just a checkbox for the tray icon, it just seems like there should be more settings available. Again some screens a bit later. maybe someone who has a 19 and xp can verify if what I am seeing is correct or not.

Thanks again James!

-Todd

6. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Todd here is a picture

Alex

Attached Files:

7. Zakalwe

Zakalwe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a machine like that, and I'm afraid my control panel looks just like yours, with the speaker working fine.

Björn

8. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes I forgot ,thats true with my control panel also
    Hardly any controls

Alex

9. s4biturbo

s4biturbo Newbie

Reputations:
    well here are the screenies, not looking like they are going to help too much if this is the same as you guys are seeing its really starting to look like a hardware failure. I will try and boot into WinPE or another flash based os and see if I have any sound.

Thanks again fellas!!

-Todd

Attached Files:

10. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    I doubt this would have anything to do with it but did you install the modem drivers? Not the wireless card but the actual 56k modem drivers?

I have had a few laptops that acted really weird when the modem was not installed or installed incorrectly.

For some reason the HD audio was on the same bus or something.

Everything looks ok by the screen shots so i am not sure what is going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.