CF-19 Gobi-2000 card isn't recognized.

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Mr.Tough, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    The early model and latest model of this unit has difrerent combination of dip switches on which I verified on my file.

Its a good start. Now! that the card has been found you may install the software.

ohlip

2. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    So all four switches ON for an MK1 CF-19?

Thanks

3. Mr.Tough

Mr.Tough Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I am no longer totally sure that it was the dip switch combination that made it work, here is all what I did before the computer started to recognize the card.

Before I saw your reply ohlip, I was playing around in BIOS, just to see if there were something there connected to the Gobi-card... The only remotely connected thing that I found was "ExpressCard Slot" under "Advanced" and by some reason I just felt like deactivating it. ;)

Here is what I did:
    1) Disabled the ExpressCard Slot in BIOS.
    2) Started the computer with the before mentioned change.
    3) I saw your reply --> shut down the computer + decided to drag all the switches to on just to test it. (1 2 3 4 - On On On On)
    4) Started the computer into BIOS and activated the ExpressCard Slot. (since I knew that there was no chance at all for it to work if it was deactivated).
    5) Windows found a new device, and installed the drivers.
    6) Started MotionCM and activated the GPS.

After this I have tried to start the computer with the following dip switch combinations:
    1 2 3 4
    (On On On On)
    Off On On On
    Off On On Off
    Off Off Off Off

As I see it it may be two reasons to why the computer finally found it: 1) The BIOS or 2) The activation of all the four switches to get the card recognized, and then it was affected by the driver installation... (this actually seems more unlikely the more I think about it...)

Anyway I am just glad that the computer has found the card. :)
    (but the GPS doesn't seem to find any satellites, so I will have to look into that next).

4. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    It has nothing to do with Epress card. Its got to be the dip switches combination.

ohlip

5. unclemack

unclemack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd been trying to make the Novatel EU740 on a CF-19Mk1 show up in bios with no luck until I (pull/push) "cleaned" the contacts of the multiconnectors for about the third time.
    Trouble is, it could have been something else that made the bios see it.
    In trial-and-error diagnosis one should change only one element at a time of course - but these things take so-o-o long to start. My patience failed me and I did try different wireless and dip switch settings at the same time.
    Kind of pleasing/annoying when you're not sure what exactly it was you did that fixed something isn't it?
    I could kick myself sometimes.
    Off on on off works for this combination by the way.
    Sorry to be no help at all :eek:

6. Pinecone

Pinecone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for late reply, been all over the place :)

Firstly, and most obviously, we don't have the same networks in Europe as the US. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and whatever don't operate over here. T-Mobile do operate in Europe, but are a different operator with the same name I believe, and are being taken over by AT&T currently I believe.

The frequencies used in the US and Europe are also different, which is why we use different modules on several units. The Gobi card had dynamically loaded firmware, so you don't want the wrong firmware being loaded.

And last but not least, why install something that's not needed. Just install the drivers, and the TBCM (Toughbook Connection Manager). Then all you need to do is insert your SIM card, stick the APN into the software and click connect.

The reason I hammer on about this is from personal experience; a while ago I had to deal with a US airline that had bought Toughbooks in the USA and were trying to set them up to use the local mobile networks in the UK for their aircraft engineers based over here. They were trying to stick a SIM card in the back, and then trying to use the CSA and it was all an absolute mess.

7. wichie

wichie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got it to work in my cf-19 mk1, thanks everyone.

8. ahom

ahom Newbie

Reputations:
    HI, We sell this gobi2000 card.
    Not sure if you purchased from me. This card works fine with toughbook cf-19 , cf-30, cf-31.
    I could not see the photo you posted.
    Can you send the photo to me ?

9. HeavenlyDragon

HeavenlyDragon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, having simular problems with cf-19 mrk3. Tried dip switch combos etc but windows still said device not found. MY solution to this was to remove the battery and power lead and hold the power switch on for 10 seconds. Once I put the battery back in and switched on bingo card found and drivers located. Hope this helps. If any one has sused witch settings the dip switches should be at for Europe Uk I would much appriciate them> cheers

10. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    This was mentioned somewhere at some time around here... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.