1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

CF-19 Gobi-2000 card isn't recognized.

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Mr.Tough, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Mr.Tough

Mr.Tough Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I just got my Gobi2000 card today, but the computer doesn't seam to recognize that I have inserted the card.

My computer model: CF-19CDBAXVE
    I am using Windows 7 at the moment.
    I have installed "Sierra_Wireless_Gobi2000_v1.1.180" and "MotionCMSetup_V26014"

Also I noticed that I only had one coax cable free at the back, in the pictures that I have seen everyone seem to have two. You can see some pictures of it below.

The first picture is of the bottomside of the card, and the second is of the top side and the cable that I now have connected to "main". (no cable to aux)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

2. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Dude... you don't have the GOBI card in there... it's not even in the slot...

In that second pic it should be in that slot there...

There SHOULD be 2 antennas... not sure on that one...

3. db04p71

db04p71 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gobi is not supported by Panasonic on the CF-19 Mk1. There is a trick to make it work. Maybe the trickster will chime in.

4. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    When you went to Windows 7 did you upgrade to the newer BIOS ?

5. Skytop

Skytop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What Rob said- One way to tell which wires are for wwan or blue tooth. Open the side plastic covers for the LCD where the antenna boards located and see which wires soldered to which boards(the imprints are on the boards; example wwan, wlan, blue tooth, etc...) I did not see the brown wire for the aux antenna. The first picture looks like a blue tooth antenna. On the second picture, there is a slot for the mini PCI-E card. You can use this slot for wwan, 4G wimax; if you have 4G service in your city like Clear (Gobi is for wwan, can be ATT, Verizon, Sprint etc... for 4G you can get a wimax card like the full height intel 512 on ebay for about $15). I have cf-19 mk2 winxp with Gobi 1000 configured to all( when you install the Gobi driver; it called CSA or something like that, it will give you the option to install just one specific carrier or install all and upload the connection manager for different carriers as needed). Hope this will help you.

6. tango_tough

tango_tough Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    May be he is using a non white listed gobi card, not for panasonic, so he had to use the motion computer's driver,I guess the card is from China.

7. Mr.Tough

Mr.Tough Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seems like I have to clarify a few things :)

I am aware that I do not have the Gobi card inserted on that picture, I though it would be best since I seem to be missing a cable.

Here is a picture of it inserted :p
    [​IMG]

I connected the cable that was there to the main-port on the Gobi-card.

Okay, thanks, I hadn't heard this before.

I have no memory of updating it, but since I have Windows 7 shouldn't it already be up to date. I though that updated bios was needed to install Windows Vista/Windows 7. Could this be the reason to why the computer doesn't seem to see the card?

It is not really the wwan function that I was after, it is the GPS function. (the wwan function is just a bonus). My guess is that the blue cable is for the bluetooth, since I haven't touched it and it works, I also have a black and gray cable to the wifi-card. But the brown wire for the aux antenna is as you say gone.

But, the computer should recognize the card even though the cable is missing, right?

Yes, the card is from China, the drivers that I have installed was supplied from the seller. (In the text it clearly states that the card works fine with Panasonic computers.) The price wasn't the best but I though it would be worth it to have no problems with the installation :p

Sierra Gobi2000 HSPA/EV-DO+GPS for PANASONIC TOUGHBOOK CF-19/30/31 | eBay

8. db04p71

db04p71 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  9. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
  10. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Go here Panasonic Toughbook Computer Support Downloads and search all drivers
    and then operating system click "Vista upgrade". It will list all the drivers you need .
    After you upgrade the BIOS you will be able to install the misc driver which is
    needed to install about 5 other drivers. There is a thread on this some where,