CF-18 Drivers and Buttons

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Zippy-Man, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes the market seems to be flooded with them

I know Cap paid less for his usa cf-18 than the price that those Australia cf-18’s are going for

You are wrong on the drivers, they would be the same for all countries ,except of coarse the wwan which would probably be good only in the origin country so if you need that, you would buy a model originally sold in your country

The issue is with support/service as Panasonic Service will not support models sold in other countries
    That’s not just warranty either, that’s for out of warranty as well

That’s to discourage grey market products entering the country

Edit: Cap said most of what I posted as I was typing...
    Got to learn to type faster:mad:

Alex

2. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    I don't think there will be a lot of good local deals on CF-18s while the Aussies have the market flooded. The guys with a few to sell won't go up against all that stock. I haven't paid much attention, anyone here got one of those ones from "OZ"? I bid $345 for 4 machines from the same guy, won on the 4th try. He ran out unfortunately, I would have paid more money for more if I had seen how good his stuff was.
    CAP

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Well... I just won one for $430.... And that is a fair price I think as that included shipping. The weird thing was that it was a "Dutch Auction"... The guy had two... I bid the highest ($437+change) for one of them and won the bid... With my exact highest bid... To the penny! That has never happened before. I'd like to see how that happened... But ebay doesn't show that anymore!

<Doing my "I'm SO excited" dance>

4. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Rick
    So the other bidder paid the same $437.33 ?
    Is the mk-2 that you bought a touchscreen or digitizer?

Alex

5. capt.dogfish

Reputations:
    Rick,
    I believe in a dutch auction every one gets one at the lowest winning price. So the other guy bid more than you and got his for the same price you did.
    CAP
    EDIT: Rick it looks good! Post up the model # as soon as you can and we'll see about getting everything to work with your new "huge" hard drive.

6. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I don't know the exact model number but I do know that it is a Touchscreen. It's strange.. I normally ask for the complete model number before I bid but I figured the guy has a good rep and it seems to be complete... But with OS not loaded.

7. 9nine9

9nine9 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just got one of the aussie CF-18's (in fact, I'm on it right now). Mine is a 18D 1.1 ghz Pentium M Touchscreen. It came with a 40GB hd (already upgraded!) and 512 ram (also already upgraded). Model number is CF18DKB22KA (I think, the label is almost totaly illegible)

The system showed up in pretty good shape, all things considered. It's definitely been well used but doesn't show any abuse, just some nice patina. It needed a good cleaning, and still needs a bit more, but the keyboard is in good shape, the screen has absolutely NO marks, and the only mechanical problem is a missing cover for the power port.

The battery I got is good for a little under an hour, so I've ordered a replacement. The power supply is a Fujitsu which has been re-terminated with a panasonic compatible connector (this was in the auction description, so no big deal). It's usable, but the connection is not quite as solid as it should be, I'll probably be on the lookout for an OE panasonic adaptor. I also received the stylus, tether, and the short carry strap

Mine came with a hodge-podge load of XP tablet edition SP3, probably from a Toshiba originally. Most everything worked out of the box, except the front panel buttons. I went through and updated/removed a bunch of things, and ended up getting the front panel buttons working, except for the screen rotation button. I can rotate the screen from the Intel Display icon in the toolbar and also from the keyboard, so I'm not ready to break everything (again!) to get it working. I suspect that it is generating a key sequence for screen rotation that is no longer supported by the display driver. The other annoyance is that the on-screen keyboard button brings up the panasonic app, instead of the XP Tablet OSK, but again, I'm not yet ready to break everything in a quest to get it working.

There was a trick to getting the hotkey drivers working, and that was I had to manually delete the driver files from the Windows directory, then re-install.

I haven't tried too hard to get the WAN modem up yet, although I do get the green antenna light when I turn it on, so I think it is connecting. I'll probably open it up this afternoon to see what I can figure out about the WAN, and also to look into GPS options.

nine

8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Nine... Thanks for the info! Please let me know which WWAN software you need. It is hard to find on Panny's off-sites... I downloaded some of them before I lost the link. (Reformat and lost My Favs.)

9. capt.dogfish

Reputations:
    Rick,
    Some, but probably not all of the WWAN drivers are on Panasonic.ca
    CAP

10. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    As far as I know you can use a driver for each cf-18 with the same mark but of course there are two type of cf-18 the digitizer and the normal touchcreen except for wwan application.

For the the rotational button problem Tomcat..(alex) has a wright up(procedure) to follow in order this button to work.

ohlip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.