CF-18 Drivers and Buttons

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Zippy-Man, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zippy-Man

Zippy-Man Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is taken from another site but this is why the cf-18 digitizer does not have serial ports.

"At first sight, the Windows XP Tablet PC Edition looks very familiar. It is heavily based on Windows XP Professional, but has an extra layer of software to handle the unique features of a tablet, including the pen-based input system.

The software is tightly integrated with the hardware, so it is supplied as an OEM product and is not available to retail customers.

A tablet is designed to be used on the move so most models support Wifi, Bluetooth and infra-red. Microsoft has added a feature called Grab and Go to Windows XP Tablet, which ensures that the tablet and its software will perform flawlessly even if you pull the network cable out of the back and take your tablet for a walk.

Some connections won’t tolerate this sort of treatment, so Windows XP Tablet doesn’t support legacy serial, parallel or PS/2 ports."

Also this is a link to another manufacture website that shows serial ports are not supported under win xp tablet.

http://web1.toshiba.ca/support/techsupport/tsbs/all/-TSB001155.htm

Guess that explains why they just saved the few extra bucks on the serial connectors.

-James

2. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thats funny as my cf-19 with tablet pc has a working com-port!

Alex

3. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Ya i am not sure what they changed but that was the first thing i thought when i got my cf-19 too.

Strange i guess.

Do you have the digitizer model?

-James

4. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes James the same model as yours

Alex

5. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    I see i thought you had a touchscreen version for some reason i guess i mixed that up with one of the CF-18's :)

-James

6. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I have used up all the space on my signature
    Before I had listed as digitizer, but there is no room now:eek:

Alex

7. 91220da

91220da Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,
    Back to the original question, issue. I also have non working tablet buttons on a cf-18 but I only have XP pro installed not XP tablet pc. Is it possible to get them to work with only having xp pro? I think it is great that you talked Toughbook into buying an 18. He is a genius with the 28 and 29. I was fortunate enough to acquire one of his Ultimate 28's. It is beyond words. Thanks Toughbook!!!!

8. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes I am using xp pro and as I have said the buttons are working fine now
    OK here are the steps
    Install xp
    If your disk is just xp or xpsp-1 upgrade to sp-2
    Now a list of drivers in order
    Wifi driver only from intel And have device manager unknown network device search in the folder you downloaded
    Listed on the intel download site as English: 12.2.0.0_X_Drivers.zip Download
    Ver:12.2.0.0 Date:1/5/2009 Size:7133 (KB)

OS INF File driver , unextract to c: and install and reboot
    Video driver unextract to C: util and install and reboot
    Sound driver unextract to C: util and install and reboot
    Modem driver unextract to C: util and install and reboot
    Now you can do the backwords hotkey stuff...
    Hotkey plus driver download extract and go into device manager under the second unknown device direct to the plus driver and reboot
    Now the same thing with the hotkey driver as above , note there is only one uknown device in the device manager
    then
    touchpad driver/touchscreen driver install through device manager upgrade the mouse driver conitunue to reboot after each addition
    hotkey settings
    hotkey plus manager
    hotkey apendex
    software key board
    display rotation tool

By this time you will have the keys working and you can go into the panasonic program list and modify the rotation and front key settings
    Add any other drivers now that I missed

Alex

diagnosticbox likes this.
  9. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Alex.... EXCELLENT POST!!! Lots of great info!

Also... instead of starting a new thread.... Any word on the CF-18 bomb that exploded over in Australia? Seems everybody must be finding them on the side of the road based on 75% of all the 18s on ebay are being offered from there.... That and a lot of them list having 10+ in stock. I thought I read somewhere that a few people here bought them and they looked okay but had a hard time finding drivers since they weren't built for the USA.

Anyone?

10. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Rick,
    I believe the problem with drivers was the Aussies couldn't get restore disks because Panasonic USA and heartlandsi wouldn't sell overseas, and won't support computers that originate overseas. The drivers are all available, and there are a lot of them, at Panasonic.ca. Its just putting them in in the correct order that's tough, you know it aint easy if it gave Alex and Teo problems. The odd model # seems to come from the original owners, an Australian telcom I believe.
    CAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.