CES

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by SurferJon, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well considering Vaio corp has designs none of their laptops, even the canvas Z was/is a sony design, I would not expect anything new from them anytime soon. While I like that Sony used 28W CPUs in the Vaio Z flip/nonflip, for the top of the line model, 2399 US, I can get a dell xps 15 here with 4k screen and a dGPU, so no use in sticking to a brand when in reality it is not offering much value versus the competition

2. doraemon801

doraemon801 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    USB type C I believe only become native to the next intel Chipset which is Kabylake, otherwise manufacture has to integrate themselves. But look on the bright side, Skylake has a few cool add-ons from previous gen, DDR4 and PCIe 3.0

If someone know, I want to know how much difference are graphic performance between the 28W in z flip to the nvidia 940m in Asus ux303ub....

3. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From what's i've read, graphic performance is pretty much identical between those two.

doraemon801 likes this.
  4. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes kabylake will have native type C but the Vaio 11 in Japan is on skylake and vaio added a usb type C thunderbolt port on it, so I don't why they didn't add it to the other models. If not the Z line, at least the S13. As for performance, I feel you may have more throttling on the iris graphics, but I have no idea how well the cooling is on the new vaios.

5. doraemon801

doraemon801 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly, I hate to say it cause I love added features for extra value of a laptop. But I can definitely see Vaio is heading for some cost-cutting strategies. Basically they think people will buy base on the looks and design rather than extra and upgraded features. They think usb 3.0 is sufficient and they don't want to be adding manufacturing cost to integrate usb type C. Same with the dedicated graphics card. Why should we add it in if intel cpu provide sufficient level of graphics capabilities already? (for non-gamers) . We can see it in the Vaio Fit 15 mk2 on vaio jp site, they practically stripped out nvidia from it (where it used to have nvidia 735m. That is an 15" laptop, and they still did it.... Now the new S15 proves it even further.

So Jon is correct into jumping ship if he is looking into dGPU, as iris 550 of the 28w cpu is the best vaio will probably provide. (which is still way better and a decent upgrade to the 425m i currenty have)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.