CES

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by SurferJon, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurferJon

SurferJon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Soooo, we gonna see anything from CES regarding new Vaio laptops?

hmscott and galaxyge like this.
  2. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Was hoping myself for vaio to roll out more laptops to the US or updates to skylake but it seems nothing. There might be a few reasons for this.

The current vaio laptops don't use the 15W chips but instead use 28W and 47W, I am not including the Pro mark 2 model or the newly announced s11, which is on skylake, i3-6100U, i5-6200U, i7-6500U.

The vaio Z uses 28W, and while the i5 skylake versions have launched
    http://ark.intel.com/products/family/88393/6th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors#@Mobile

So vaio would opt for i5-6287U or i5-6267U, both at 28W and iris 550. Unfortunately the i7 version at 28W, the i7-6567U was announced back in Q3 2015, it is still not available and should be in the Q1 2016, but that can be anywhere up to March. As for the canvas Z, perhaps the i7-6700HQ could be used. Perhaps Vaio wishes to announce all their laptops at once, so they are waiting for all chips to be available before updating? All speculation on my part.

Another reason could be Vaio is waiting until end of fiscal year 2015 Q4, so end of march before announcing, so then they would have updated products in all of fiscal year 2016? Again all speculation. The final reason could be Vaio will not update their older laptops and just keep shipping what they have? There were rumours of toshiba, fujitsu and vaio merging or joining to form one large company to survive the pc market but vaio says no offers have come but they would be interested. Combining all 3 would not be enough though and doubt the company would survive. A better option would be to merge or join with Taiwanese PC makers to survive, so asus or acer as some have stated in various news articles. But I would doubt that would happen.

Currently waiting for new laptops to appear on the market, the new lenovo offerings look good, but lack usb type c so waiting for now. Intel did announce their compute stick with core m, which I wanted to grab for my tv.

hmscott likes this.
  3. ota-con

ota-con Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Z is going to be launched in the US

ascariss likes this.
  4. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hopefully with skylake. While US is nice, would be great to have it here in Europe as well.

5. SurferJon

Reputations:
    Just noticed they posted a link to Vaio Z on their website, but it doesn't lead anywhere yet.

6. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hope they improve the hdmi to 4k at 60frames, currently in japan vaio Z has only hdmi 1.4.

7. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure if this will interest anyone but it seems more laptops have appeared on Vaio US' site.

Vaio Z flip - pre order from Feb 8th
    Vaio Z (flip model with normal screen) - pre order mid march
    Vaio S (looks to be a modified pro 13) - pre order early march

I checked the JP Vaio, both the Z flip and Z ship with either i7-6567U or i5-6267U, both are 28W with iris 550 graphics. No usb type C/thunderbolt on these models it seems.

Looking at the new S13, 3 versions, i3-6100U, i5-6200U, and i7-6500U, intel 520 graphics, only full hd screen. No type C usb here either.

I am guessing similar if not identical specs will be available for the US models, curious about the pricing. Doubt they will be cheap. Lack of usb type c is a shame, especially when the small JP S11 does feature a type C port. There is also a larger S15, seems to use some clamshell from the only sony days, it has the i7-6700HQ, i5-6300HQ or i3-6100H, all with intel 530 graphics, no dedicated card, shame especially for a larger 15 inch model.

I'd be tempted if they sold the models here in Europe, there is a eu.vaio.com domain registered, but leads nowhere. On the other hand, with no type C and basically using old designs from a few years back, not sure it would be worth the money.

emev likes this.
  8. emev

emev Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, ascariss!
    The articles on the Japanese Engadget about the new S and the new Z are surprisingly understandable using Google Translate. The blank/non-engraved keyboard option for the Z is cool. The specs are also nice, but other than that I'm not so impressed by the updates.

I always liked the idea of the flip screen (even though I prefer non-touch laptops), but never liked its design. They could have come up with a better look for the non-flip Z; my VPC-Z2 from 2011 feels more elegant and exclusive compared to it.
    As you say, the design of the current line-up is getting old (and for me it never really worked anyway).

ascariss likes this.
  9. SurferJon

Reputations:
    Sigh. Still no traditional touchscreen laptop with a full i7 and dGPU. The dream is dead. Guess I have to go with Dell.

10. manson

manson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    they broke my heart not including usb-c in new s13
    shame, i have already save some money for this laptop, but need to go for new latitude dell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.