Cells analogy to a Desktop Computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shaythong, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaythong

Shaythong Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, in my Science class we have to review what we have learned in the past (a .. fun way to remember what we learned in the past years). There were a few options to choose from like Cells, Physics, and so on. I choose Cells since it was the easiest.

I'm supposed to make an analogy of "A Cell is like a ___" and make a poster out of it.

Half of the assignment is to find out some analogies of the basic cell, but I was thinking about comparing it to a desktop computer (not sure if I can do software and hardware on the same poster).

I replaced some of the blank lines with my own (the underlined one) to make it according to the desktop computer analogy. The red text is where I might need some help with, with some of my ideas. :eek: The default layout is "The __ is (or is/are) like the *_ because ________".

The on the back I sketch a poster. Behind the poster I have to give another detailed description of how each analogy compares to the individual cell functions and structures.

Thanks, any ideas are appreciated. :D

2. csinth

csinth Snitch?

Reputations:
    Chloroplasts = Power supply.. it captures one form of energy and converts it into another form usable by the cell (computer).

ER = CPU.. maybe? And ribosomes could be the transistors contained in CPU. Ribosomes take instructions from the nucleus and manufacture proteins in the ER. The CPU processes data given to it by the hard drive.. it doesn't work perfectly... but w/e

Golgi Apparatus: I guess it could be CPU also.. hmm..

3. Shaythong

Reputations:
    Interesting, I'm not sure if it's made clear if you can only use one "component" once for each analogy, but whatever. But I think you're right with the ribosomes can be the transistors in the CPU that produces proteins for the CPU to process data given to it by the hard drive (Nucleus). The Golgi Apparatus can be the CPU that takes the "proteins" from the transistors in itself (Ribosomes). ;)

That might work, but if I were to use this I would have to make sure the reader sees that it's not the same: the ribosomes are the transistors, and the Golgi Apparatus is the CPU. The CPU (GA) will take the proteins and then transfer the frames over to the GPU.

Interesting enough, how a CPU works is that it starts out with this I think: HDD -> RAM Memory -> Chipset -> CPU -> GPU. But if I'm going to talk about the ER then wouldn't the HDD be where the proteins are produced? And for the HDD, instead of "from itself to the RAM" I can just put from itself to the CPU (the teacher won't know anyways).

The HDD might work as the nucleus, so I guess it can be the ribosomes - as it passes proteins to the ER. But actually, now that you think about it, the nucleus is the place where all the cell's activities are directed to another place. That is true for HDD but won't the proteins be produced there and not the CPU transistors... :p or does the Nucleus send raw "non-protein" information to the CPU transistors which then allows it to produce it to protein then pass it to the CPU and out?

4. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    ER could be the FSB.

5. Shaythong

Reputations:
    Do you mean that the FSB can act as a ER because the ribosomes (CPU's transistors) can transfer the "proteins" to the FSB which then carries the "proteins" to other components like the CPU, and other stuff.

I put the mitochondria to AC adapter and chloroplasts to the power supply (the thing where you plug the AC adapter into on the back of a tower). :D

6. Shaythong

Reputations:
    Okay so this is what I have so far (not going to type all - and fast so there might be spelling errors - but you get the point. ;)):

7. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    Could the membrain be the plates on the case and the cell wall could be the structure of the case (without the panls).

8. Thomas

Thomas McLovin

Reputations:
    The Golgi Apparatus could be your second i7 CPU lol.

9. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    Well I dunno. I think using a desktop computer would be cool, but is it really feasible? I remember when I did the cell, we made cities.

10. Shaythong

Reputations:
    That would work but too many people used city so I choose the desktop computer. :) I used fan as the cell membrane, the teacher said it was okay anyway. If I were to choose another one, then maybe cars (or cities) will work too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.