Cell modem for Telus

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by locksmth, Jul 17, 2019.

1. locksmth

locksmth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a CF-31JPL2Q1M that has the MC7550 cell modem in it. I can't seem to get it to work on the Telus network here in Vancouver, BC. Can anyone tell me what drivers or hardware I need?

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
  3. locksmth

Reputations:
    I've looked through all of those posts (or many of them). Mostly they are close to 10 years old and are for CF-30 etc. Was hoping for some more current info. What modem that fits in a CF-31 will work on Telus?

4. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Maybe a MC7455 or a MC7700

evenflow153 and kode-niner like this.
  5. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a CF-31Mk3 that was a surplus Alberta Gov. unit. It has a MC7700 card in it and I am sure the provincial gov uses Telus as their wireless carrier.

I am waiting for the rain to slack off some. When that happens work will increase and I will be able to afford the SIM card and data plan. I feel confident that I will have no problems connecting with the MC7700, here in Alberta or any other province, using the Telus network.

6. kode-niner

kode-niner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The MC7700 supports B4 LTE and B2 UMTS/HSPA+ which should be good with Telus in B.C.

Worked over here with a Koodo sim.

7. locksmth

Reputations:
    I bought an MC7355 off ebay. I should arrive monday. I will advise if it works!

8. kode-niner

kode-niner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If your CF-31 can recognize it. I bought an MC7355 in January but I don't remember how far I got with it because I ended up tinkering with the MC7455 instead. According to specs, it should work fine with Telus.

evenflow153 and Shawn like this.
  9. locksmth

Reputations:
    Installed the MC7355 today. No go. toughbook doesn't recognize it. Any better suggestions? Did the MC7455 work?

10. canuckcam

canuckcam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The MC7355 card you have may be locked to a specific manufacturer (commonly Lenovo and Dell) and thus your Toughbook won't see it.

I made this spreadsheet for myself when I was looking for modules and aircards. It lists the frequency/band, LTE Category and the up/down speeds of each card on each network in Canada. I can update it if you find any other more recent models.

But of course, not all frequencies are deployed everywhere so it's best to check with the TAFL or a cell phone tower map site to see what frequencies are active in your area(s). This more so with Freedom Mobile.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jz0p3qil4Mff6QYF0Qx3XtVzKuM23tCYbuntGf1FucQ/edit?usp=sharing