1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

ccleaner and SSDs

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by NotebookNeophyte, Jan 17, 2012.

1. NotebookNeophyte

NotebookNeophyte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've always been a huge fan of ccleaner in my old conventional hard drives....my question is.....can I still use ccleaner all the time in my new SSD without any negative effects?? I know the more use the SSD gets....eventually it will slow....will all the extra "ccleaning" make this worse??

2. MAA83

MAA83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use CCleaner often on my SSD. I don't see how it can be detrimental as long as you're not using the wipe free space option. All it does is delete files, and I don't see how that can be bad for the SSD.

3. makaveli72

makaveli72 Eat.My.Shorts

Reputations:
    I too use it regularly on my M4. I'm sure there is no negative effects.

4. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    no effects. the amount of increased writes that it would create would impact your ssd as much as throwing a coin onto the earth changes it's path in space.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    Exaggerate a bit? :p

6. c69k

c69k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use cccleaner and run it every time before I either shut down my M14X or leave it overnight to collect garbage. I am using Google Chrome and cccleaner cleans about 300-500 Mb of 'browsing cache' files every day. The highest size I have seen was 1.2 Gigs after streaming a few movies online.

However, I started using RAMDISK and put Google Chrome cache on my RAM. Browser is much faster now, there are no unnecessary writes to SSD and using CCCleaner finds 2 to 3 (!) Mb on my SSD after a long session of browsing.

7. pukemon

pukemon are you unplugged?

Reputations:
    OMG!! YOU'RE USING CCLEANER ON A SSD?? good job. nice program. :D

8. c69k

c69k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pure flash lol +rep

9. Syberia

Syberia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have it set to run at boot. With daily use since July, my 128gb SSD is sitting at 99% life remaining.

10. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    no. i mean, every single bit that gets written changes the live of the ssd. but ccleaner does not do much to a disk actually, ergo the impact is so tiny you'll never notice it.