CAUTION for the S.M.A.R.T Cleared SM961 drives!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by RMSMajestic, May 17, 2019.

1. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As you may have noticed there has been a lot of 1TB/ 521GB SM961s on feebay recently.

Threads on Chinese forums have already indicated that it is possible to clear the SMART data of SATA Samsung drives, and recently the NVME ones have fallen.
    https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1956734-1-5.html

As a Chinese myself I'm really disappointed by this. And I hope to spread this info as much as possible to make those dishonest people regret doing so.

[/strike]Currently for SATA they cannot clear B1 (Wear Level Count) data, and that's the only way which you can tell if the drive has been cleared or not.[/strike]

Please feel free to share

======================================================
    some clarifications and updates:

1. As for SM961, there's no way to see decisive evidence as of now (05/2019). Unlike SATA drives there's no B1 bug.
    2. There has been cases reported of conflicting SN date/ manufactured date or SN on sticker/SN as displayed in CDI. Which can be used as indirect evidence.
    3. No mark on connecting finger does NOT imply being new! Also a new drive can have marks on connecting finger during manufacturer testing or if iy's removed from new system
    4. sm963 is also not safe (surprising I haven't seen any of these on feebay)

Per request from seller.
    The SM961 I received from seller b_n_b was manufactured around 2018 week 40 and contains no conflicting informations found on label, PCB, controller, cache and NAND chips.

I cannot promise about the exact condition. All I can say is that for a drive manufactured in 1840 even if it's tampered it's very unlikely to have been written a few hundred TBs of data.

I am NOT implying about the exact condition of the drive. And I CANNOT promise anything regarding the future stocks of any seller.

The Generic version of SM961 ceased production in around March last year while the HP SM961s continued to around October.

=======================================================
    Personal recommendations, so far:
    1. Avoid seller from China
    2. Avoid early batches manufactured during or before 2017 Q1

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    bennyg, Prema, User32 and 8 others like this.
  2. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Very interesting... I was wondering myself why all the sales recently... I did pick up two of them for giggles and am running them in RAID, again for fun...

I'll keep an eye on it...

Vasudev, jaybee83 and Arrrrbol like this.
  3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    whats the wear leveling count on those drives?

chinese are clever indeed :D

edit: lol, seriously? this post was edited because "this language isn't needed"?

A small side note to the Mod who probably saw some kinda "racist" connection here: i actually LIVE and WORK in friggin Singapore. By choice. Who do you think comprises 75% of the population? That´s right, Chinese! Think about that for a moment ;) :rolleyes::p

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Vasudev, joluke and Kyle like this.
  4. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's the item B1 of S.M.A.R.T. Personally I don't mind buying second handed drives. The worst one I have ever came across had ~560 P/Es. And even with that it has more life remaining (*in theory*) than those TLC drives with fancy packaging and 3 year warranty. But what I absolutely hate is lies, really. It feel like being cheated into a marriage with a girl like Paris Hilton.

Yeah Chinese are clever, we know that from the BGA to PGA/LGA i7 4980HQ and also the infamous LGA771->775 sticker, and multiple other things. But some times they used that wisdom on bad things such as refurbishments and fakes.

Facts always matters more to me than words. And some of the most disgusting lies are packed with the most elegant languages. From moderator's point of view there's the need to create a "friendly environment". And no surprising I might have got special attention from mods cause I have been trying to speak sarcasm as fluently as my first language. (Possibly still a long way there)

Vasudev, jaybee83 and Kyle like this.
  5. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mightily insane the amount of mods that have been accomplished by them.

jaybee83 likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Aren't factory refurbished drives given the same treatment?
    I'd say Commendable job by the Chinese developer who developed the tool and unfortunately consumers have to double check everything just to be sure. End result is people become smarter in the end. Consumers will get to know which drives are genuine or fake and at the same time developers will look to make refurb products better than genuine. Its a double edged that hurts both attacker and defender at the same time.

7. User32

User32 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :thinking:

With that being said, buying used SSDs is retarded and something you should avoid.

A. it's a terrible idea to sell a SSD/HDD, even if wiped, and B. you never know what you're getting, ie the SM951s in the OP that have been tampered with.

8. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    Bless you for your valuable authoritative opinion! Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom!

bennyg likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Certainly not! Some countries have large or heavy import duty so a 1TB Samsung 970 Pro costs close to 500-600$ so buying a used MLC SSD with warranty intact seems very wise.

Starlight5, bennyg and jaybee83 like this.
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    word.

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Starlight5 and Vasudev like this.