Cash for Clunkers

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mimino, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    To back you up,
    The Tacoma and Tundra which are as the advertisements state the best pickup truck, is a line of crap

The Dodge Ram, Ford F series, Chevy pickups all have diesels, which the Tacoma and Tundra do not. All of these pickups yield better mileage under load, they can pull more, and have a much heavier powertrain.

I can give one reason why the PRIUS is not a green car. Think about how much distance and fuel oil used for the car to be shipped from Japan here. If I am not mistaken, thats more fuel than a big heavy truck made in the USA will burn over its life.
    There are things called LEED standards. As an architect, to get platinum standings, products cannot be shipped or made over 150 miles away.
    Every import car fails this automatically, so they are not green and never will be green vehicles. They may be more efficient, but all you hear is that they are green and environmentally friendly, which they are not.
    In fact there are only a few cars which are GREEN, and well they are those bought from within 150 miles of the automobile and steel plant from which they are made.

This program is terrible.
    All of these cars are getting smashed up for no reason. Its only a huge waste of materials, energy, machines and a tremendous amount of fuel to have them crushed up for recycling, which is again another huge waste of energy

K-TRON

2. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    As for gasoline engines, the Tacoma and Tundra are most reliable. The Tacoma isn't a dedicated towing rig, so there isn't a need for a heavy powertrain. Mileage under load differs from each situation, so we can't say that one has better mileage under load, given the variables. The Tundra is not necessarily a workman's truck either, more of a "gentlemen's" truck, if you will. The Tundra does have a nice towing capacity though.

Without the shipping involved, the Prius IS one of the greenest cars available. I know what you're saying though. Under the same circumstances, the Prius would be more efficient than most if not all American cars of the same class.

I totally agree with you about the CFC program.

3. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There's another factor that can't be readily quantified or measured relating to the the Prius....it's what I call "Prius RAGE!". It is the road rage caused by Prius drivers who often block the normal flow of traffic in an effort to maximize fuel economy (known as "hyper-miling"). Even more so, it's the road rage caused by ignorant Prius drivers who don't adhere to traffic laws (slower traffic keep right, for example) and result in traffic bottlenecks on two-lane highways!

4. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sigh, i WISH people would stop driving slow in the Fast lane/left lane. Especially when rush our is approaching.

5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    You should try out Utah, the right lane is the passing lane. ;)

I'm with K-Tron on the truck thing though, if your pulling anything then you have to go with one of the american made trucks, those gassers just simply don't cut it. I really wish toyota would have came out with the diesel tundra that they were threatening, it was a beautiful truck.

6. umass

umass Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Both GM and Ford have great products in the pipeline. They are on or the same level of Toyota/Lexus and Honda products. Their key is management, for Ford it looks like they are on they right track. GM with Fritz in charge is still questionable either way both GM and Ford will gain market share in the future.

Toyota IMO has peaked and will loose market share in the future. Chrysler is not looking good without any quality products in the pipeline.

The key statistic for all is 3 out 4 Americans want to purchase a American automobile.

7. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    this program is a near waste of money...

8. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    It IS a waste of money...

9. Snakecharmed

Snakecharmed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This program sucks, like any other half-assed idea by Congress. Where's my rebate for owning my car outright since 1999, keeping it in excellent shape, and not being an irresponsible chump who will lease his way into new debt by spending money I don't have?

I won't comment on the pollution that this program is creating either. A clunker isn't a car that gets crappy gas mileage. A clunker is a car that is burning enough oil to create a smokescreen. Guess which one of the two gets taken off the road with this program though? Anyone who seriously believes that this program was a green initiative also believes the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary.

10. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is just another way for the Government to subsidize the auto industry! A government hand-out, to those who can take advantage of it. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.