Cash for Clunkers

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mimino, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muscle Master

Muscle Master Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The amount of bashing of the American automakers irks me .... subscribed

The quality of Toyota sucks ..........They cant even make a good pick-up truck, how many recalls did that thing have

The quality of Honda ..... Don't make me post the recall of over 728,000 Honda's from here to the year 2002 because of faulty air bags that don't deploy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let's not go there with the German's

2. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Code:

Allfired, yeah i remember Amati. It would have been so awesome to see what they could have evolved into had they had started out back then. Could you imagine a TL competitor for 5 grand less with turbo 6's and stuff? Thats what i could imagine with Mazda.

Its to bad for the Millenia, it was pretty darn luxurious for its time and price. If only they had stronger engines like you said. It needed at least 250hp back then to compete.

Muscle, My brother has a 2008 Civic SI and my Dad has a 2007 Honda Ridgeline NEITHER of them have had any significant problems. Not even a hint of it.

I also have had my Infiniti for 2 years and a half and havent even had a HINT or problems. An unblievable reliable luxury vehicle. I know i have a full 5 more years left without a single problem.

Thats nothing about the recalls. Dont make me start on the GM tip lmao. Just yesterday alone they had to recall 185,000 small pickup trucks.

3. Muscle Master

Reputations:
    Well every automaker face recalls, but a single model year and 185,000 sounds better than 8 model years and 3/4 of a million units and faulty taillights sounds a hell of a lot better than malfunctioning airbags !!!!

The stereotype of foreign cars are better quality of american cars. Is BS and irritating and its getting old !!!!

4. runtohell121

runtohell121 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol, totally agree, i don't see much problem with foreign cars.

hmm...? My parent owns a 2000 Ford Windstar. It had problem after 2-3 months of driving. Had it taken to the dealer, they ripped us off thousands of dollar. Engine light always comes back on after they say they fixed it. After a while, my parent stop taking it to the Ford dealer and says forget it. Driving it for 2-3 years, then my dad replaced the manifold and some gasket to fix it. The engine is running strong still, but the steering is starting to have problem. I can see more problems coming in sooner.. -_- That is our experience with American cars.

5. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Every auto maker has recalls....

Lets look at the Camaro for example.....

And I have seen quite the contrary actually, most people i know have had less problems with Honda/Toyota than their Chevy/Ford. I can't really speak for german, because i only know one guy with an Audi :D

6. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    How does the quality of Toyota suck? They have been one of the leading car manufacturers with one of the highest overall quality ratings for years, with Honda being in the same boat.

As for the recalls; The Toyota Tacoma only has 1 recall for the new truck, and it's a minor recall of sorts being the load bearing weight. The sticker on the truck said it could carry X weight, and the real world test said it could only carry 150lbs lighter for the max weight. This only affected 1300 trucks. The Ford F-150 has a different, and worse, story to boot. Ford is recalling 8,735 new 2009 Ford F-150's to fix a problem that prevent's the truck's brake lights from lighting up when a driver taps the brakes to slow the truck down. Ford says the issue is caused by an improperly adjusted brake stop lamp switch.

Also, as for the amount of Honda recalls; There has been far more American recalls for cars than for Honda cars. There have also been American cars with airbag recalls.

8 model years with 750,000 recalls, if you do the math, would be A WHOLE LOT LESS than 8 years multiplied by 185,000 in a year, which would almost be 1.5 million recalls.

Why does Honda have a better overall rating by JD Power over ALL American products?

7. Ferretwulf

Ferretwulf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've owned all sorts of vehicles (and typically own about 4-5 at a time due to being a car-o-holic). The unfortunate side is I don't typically own them for too long. That said, from a completely anecdotal basis, I've had the following with hi-miles and their related "reliability":

• 1974 Datsun (model 620) pickup: Owned from 80K to 260K miles with only wear-related maintenance (belt, brakes, etc.) (this little truck was the inspiration for "Unbreakable" ;) ) Not sure if the prior owner ever had to replace the clutch on the manual, but it never needed fixing in the time I owned it. Tough little bugger.

• 1976 Jeep CJ7 Renegade - Owned from 45K to 140K miles. Had to rebuild carb at 70K. Alternator died at 85K. Radiator croaked at 100K (bad water added I think) Owner maintained. Other items only wear-related.

• 1982 Chevy Citation - Owned 'new' to 30K miles. WORST CAR EVER. Serious issues with the 'new' ECU. Car randomly shut down, sped up, stalled. ECU (or whatever it was called at the time) was replaced 6X over the life of the car. All 'power equipment' died and could not be ressurected. Not sure how they faired as a model. We must have gotten a drunk Friday lemon.

• 1980 Datsun (Model 720) King cab - Owned from 90K to 145K miles. Killed alternators like they were candy. Never could track down what was causing it. Beat the hell out of this truck otherwise, refused to give up the ghost.

• 1985 Honda Accord LX (Carb, not FI) - Owned from 74K to 160K. Clutch replaced at 102K, Carb floats 'sunk' at 140K.

• 1985 Honda Prelude Si - Owned from 30K to 90K. No issues. Peachy car

• 1991 Ford Ranger - Owned 'new' to 80K - Ran like a champ. No issues at all.

• 1989 Cherokee XJ - Owned 190K to 265K - Rebuilt transmission at 250K. Replaced emissions snakes at 255K. While well maintained I treated this vehicle like a flogged mule. Merciless and it just kept running. Thoe 4.0L jeep engines are just Iron Men.

• 1996 Saturn SL2 - Owned new until 36K (7 years total, very low miles). At 36K it just started doing lots of small things that started to add up to one big headache. For where I was in life at the time, it was a swell little car for my very short commute.

• 1999 Ford F350 7.3L TD - Owned 105K to current (298K) - Another Iron Man. Had one issue with bad diesel fuel damaging the fuel system (not the truck's fault) - Other than that just normal maint and wear items. Immortal beast.

• 2003 Infiniti G35 - Owned 'new' to 5K miles - Lemonded - dire oil consumption issue

• 2005 GMC Canyon - Owned 'new' until 6K miles - defective valve springs did bad things to engine - completely replaced under warranty - sold shortly thereafter

Lots of other vehilces owned, but not long enough for any form of long-term reliability to be commented on. I've had a few bad strikes with Chevy/GMC, but I don't think that would deter me from buying a new Camaro ;) Ford has been the 'best' in my stable, however, I've owned more Japanese cars over time than anything else.

I'll buy and drive whatever strikes my fancy now-a-days. I currently own a Ford, VW, Honda and Lexus so I've got a mix in the corral at the moment. At some point I am sure I'll end up with a lemon from someone else along the way.

8. Muscle Master

Reputations:
    I did not mean 185,000 from each model year, the total

Just you watch ... The American big three will rise again

The Chevy Volt due next year will on the Prius and insight ... google is yiur friend

9. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    2002 G35? But the first model year was 2003....

Unless you mean the G20?

10. Ferretwulf

Ferretwulf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, sorry, fat-fingered that one. Should have read "2003" (fixed now)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.