Case Cracks

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by jedisolo, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamnageD

DamnageD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Liquid_Turbo

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. Liquid_Turbo

Liquid_Turbo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    "For situations such as this, please call us toll-free at 877-462-3462 to be assisted in person by a technical support technician. They will best be able to help you. Our helpful staff will be able to walk you through settings and troubleshooting steps. In addition, if an RMA needs to be set up, they will be able to assist you directly.

I'd like to have the unit at our repair facility. Please provide me with the RMA number so that I may track the repair. I'll have the top cover replaced in warranty.

Brian Inboden
    Averatec
    Customer Care Level III Technician
    Support: 877-462-3462
    Fax: 714-429-9961"

Yes! Finally somebody is listening to us. So all I gotta do is ship it in. I talked to Future Shop today and they said they would be willing to help me ship it in. Its awesome!

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I started to read this forum two weeks ago when I got my 3250. Maybe I should have read it BEFORE I bought. It's been an eye opener, let me tell ya.

But does anyone know if any "important" Averatec personnel checks in here?

4. DamnageD

DamnageD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd like to think they would...but I won't hold my breath.

5. tschrock

tschrock Newbie

Reputations:
    OMG! whatever you do, do not do business with notebookparts.com or any other company owned by Abbassi Rahim (a.k.a. "John")!

This company is questionable at best in my opinion. I ordered a new 8x CD-RW drive for an older Gateway laptop from notebookparts.com. I received a used, defective drive. I called notebookparts.com and Abbassi Rahim agreed to send me a replacement. The replacement was supposedly *new* but is also defective.

This whole mess took more than 4 weeks to play out after shipping, and my customer finally got tired of messing with it and cancelled his order. So I emailed "John" (I suspect Abbassi Rahim) and asked for an RMA number from notebookparts.com to return the second defective drive for a refund.

But guess what.... All notebookparts.com CD drive sales are now final. You are taking your life into your hands if you deal with Abbassi Rahim or notebookparts.com.

If you want all or the gory details about my experience with Abbassi Rahim or notebookparts.com, you can read them on my blog at:

http://www.thorschrock.com

6. darktiger

darktiger Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had a 32xx series laptop - after 6-months I had cracks in both monitor hinges.. .

Can we class action Averatec?? This seems to be a design flaw with Averatec laptops - my sisters Toshiba and my mothers Compaq never had these issues...

7. blue68f100

blue68f100 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My 6130 had the same problem. They repaired it under warranty. Then if failed again 3 months later, out of warranty. I discovered that the hinges were not alligned with the case. This caused flexing everytime the lid was opened and closed. SuperGlue repaired the cracks.

8. afterburner1

afterburner1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The computer has thermosetting plastic. Has to be heat welded with soldering iron on the back side. Delicate job with light wattage soldering iron.
    Can try epoxy but reverse side must be grossly roughend and thin metal (shim stock) used as reenforcement for the epoxy.
    I have tried both methods and suggest the hot weld tack at the beginning and end of the crack and the epoxy between. Be careful with weld so as not to penetrate to face side. The hot weld tack should stop the crack from continuing.

Afterburner

9. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, Lappy People!

I just joined, having come upon a post in this thread by Jedisolo....after Googling re a little---OK not so little--- challenge.

I am compulisive puter reapir person. I find them in the garbage of my pretentious building here in Manhattan. U have no idea.:)

My best find to date: Alienware Sentia 223, P-M, 2.0, 1Gb DDR; 60 GB HDD, XP Home...morongirl upstairs had little accident, smashed the KB....threw it out with all original disks. It was basically NEW. given who makes it....had major issues finding but did....new KB costing little fortune....but who cares? This is no my main lappy. It is now...PERFECT.

Now....a recent find...I shoould have left in the garbage, forget not kept going on tring to put perfect....VPR Matrix 120. I know. Don say it. But I have taken puppy down to mobo....spent obscene money on parts....too late 2 stop now, guys....one more hurdle.

THIS THING had a huge Achilles' Hell re the large palm rest/bezel since it was designed to hold the main pins of the LCD. This bezel/pam rest has little hairlne fracture at upper edge...this part can't be found, and I need to repair this little fracture.---U bet, on the "business end" of this vital part.

I Googled into oblivion and found the post above post here from back in the day:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=10608&page=2

My Googlings reveal this may be poly plastic and the usual glues/expoxys will not work, i.e. K B Products, or even plastic resin kits I see in the UK.

I am unclear about the specifics of the post I found, given the KB site says it will not work on poly plastics...but this post, if nothing else....offers me HOPE for this tiny but crucial repair being possible. And we allknow that (hope) springs eternal, right?:cool:

Any further data will be intensely, hysterically, passionately appreciated.

Thanks so much,
    Jill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.