Car stereo not as loud as it was..

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by spookyu, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spookyu

spookyu NBR Zombie Expert

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replys! Yeah that was the first thing I check was any equalizer settings, they're all at default. I do believe you're right in that this stock stereo doesn't have a seperate amp, not high end enough for that. I've just noticed a rattle has started in my front left speaker, and I'm starting to think that's where the problem is. I set the fade and center so only that speaker was playing and it did sound funny, it made all the bass sounds and the high pitched sounds, but nothing mid range (and since I'm always in the drivers seat, maybe that's why it seems not as loud to me). It seems I have cause enough to replace it now. I've never done this before but I'm very handy, getting the door panel off should be easy and I don't expect to be more than a handful of wires correct? Is it a good idea to replace both from speakers or even all four if I'm doing this? Does anyone have suggestions on some decent (budget) speakers or a place to look?

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yeah, you would want to do them in sets. Preferable all 4, but if you can't afford it at least the two.

3. spookyu

spookyu NBR Zombie Expert

Reputations:
    I've done some reading and I from what I understand all my speakers are "full range" and I want to replace them with like speakers, but most places I'm shopping (like newegg.com) have speakers listed as 2-way, 3-war, 4-way etc. What's that mean?

4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    2 way would have two drivers, 3 way would have three, and so on. The drivers are the speakers/tweeters. I think they have a built in crossover so you run one cable to the speaker and each part of it(or 'way') will handle is frequency range. Generally speaking, the more they can separate the frequency range into different drivers the better sound you will get. Although I would rather go with a good single or dual driver speaker over a cheap 3 or 4 way.

5. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    amazon has some good deals on speakers too.
    There are some yellow Pyle 3 way speakers that are cheap, and kinda crappy, but alot better than any OEM (unless you have a premium sound system).
    What ever you get don't get ones with paper cones!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.