Car stereo not as loud as it was..

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by spookyu, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spookyu

spookyu NBR Zombie Expert

Reputations:
    Alright so I have a 2007 cobalt with the stock stereo in it, nice little car to get me around and the stereo thumped plenty enough for my taste. Well all of a sudden I notice my stereo just...isn't as loud as it used to be. Excuse me, I'm no audiophile so I'll try to make this explination clear. The bass feels the same, just as loud, and all the real high frequency sounds are the same, but it seems to lack any mid-range all of a sudden. I'm not entirely sure where to start, could someone give me some insight maybe? If that explination doesn't make sense let me know...

2. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    Is it certain speakers that are not making as much noise or all of them?

They could be blown out.

3. spookyu

Reputations:
    I'm fairly certain it's all of them. I thought they might be blown out but I've done that to other speakers and they'd often have scratchy and ticking sounds, didn't note any of that with these. I guess it could still be that though. Is replacing speakers generally difficuly, should just be a matter of taking the door panel off and then like 2 or 3 wires right?

I just want to be certain it's that before I drop money on new speakers. I just find it odd because all the bass sounds are still there, all the higher pitched singing and voice is there, but when it comes to more mid-range sounds like guitar and things of that nature it sounds like it's muffled or really far away. It's the same regardless of using a cd, my mp3 player, or fm. Plus generally I'd turn the volume up to "30"-ish, now I need to increase that to at least 40 to get the same volume.

4. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    In that case it might be the amp but I think that would go out all together if it was that... I am not really sure.

5. spookyu

Reputations:
    That's true...I don't even know where the amp in my car is located.

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I know its an obvious suggestion, but did you check the stereo's settings? Maybe someone got in your car and messed with it while you weren't looking.

7. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yeah to me the most obvious thing is some sort of EQ settings on the head unit.

Not just Bass/Treble it may have presets like "jazz" "rock" "vocal".

I dont see how it could be the amp, it is going to work or not work pretty much. All stock car systems I have seen that have multi stage speakers still run on one full range output from the amp so you would have all sound or no sound, unless just one of those speakers blow but its almost always the woofer and you hear it rattle or distort on the bass tracks. Even if it was a mid-ranger or tweeter it wouldnt happen to all the speakers at once. So its a good sign that the signal going to the amp has been changed via some sort of EQ.

8. maozdawgg

maozdawgg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The amplifier is built into the head unit or the "radio" or "stereo" or "cd receiver thinggy" that's in the middle of your console. That is unlikely to be a source of problem since if there's a problem usually there won'[t be any sounds and stock amplifiers are built to last since they deliver very little power compared to standalone amps. Most likely someone messed with some setting or maybe you were playing your speakers are loud volumes all these years and the stock paper cone speakers just crapped out on ya.

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Sometimes if you have the premium sound systems the head unit wont handle the amp-ing like how maqozdawgg is saying. Anything lower level will most likely be handled with the head unit though.

10. maozdawgg

maozdawgg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ah true. Now a days cars can come with high end sound systems that may use external amp. Speaking of which I need to replace my interior speakers and the head unit as well.