1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Can't upgrade to 7 - Can't uninstall Intel PROSet Wireless?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by joebusby, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joebusby

joebusby Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tried third party uninstallers, the standard uninstall package just locks at 1/3 through.

7 Won't let me install until I've got rid of it, but it won't uninstally.

Tried Smarty, tried all sorts.

Any ideas?

2. banjo

banjo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Have you tried running the setup.exe for the program? Once you start it, it should show the program has been installed and ask you to repair or unistall. Works better then the add/remove software in windows. Hope this might help.:p

3. Greg

Greg Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You would be best off doing a fresh installation, rather than an upgrade. Gets all the spiders out of the cobwebs.

4. joebusby

Reputations:
    I only recently did a very fresh install of vista, and it took me weeks and weeks to collate all of the appropriate drivers. Thanks, but that's completely unhelpful advice.

After I tried to uninstall it at one point, it didn't finish.

Now Intel ProSET is no longer in the "Programs and Features" list, but the Windows 7 install says it's still there.

5. BrandonSi

BrandonSi Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    Check the msi registry entries for the uninstall string?

Look in..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Find the product name (you might have to run through each one at a time). Once you find it it should have a command line to run, starts with msiexec.exe /U blahblahblah

Assuming, of course, it used an msi based installer.

6. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It isn't unhelpful at all. Most of the time if you upgrade to a NEW OS(xp -> vista, in this case vista -> 7) there will be unknown problems waiting to happen. I've read it too many times, people getting random BSOD, slow, not working correctly, etc. Even if you do decide not to clean install, most likely you will have problems with that driver (betting on odds). How could it possibly take weeks to get drivers? Even if that was true, since you did it once, you now know where to look so it should take a day at most...

7. joebusby

Reputations:
    64-bit driver support for my laptop has been discontinued (vostro 1500)

I solved it anyway, by installing the latest package, then uninstalling that.