1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

can't see 2nd harddrive in windows XPS M1730

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by jabbok, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I installed a second harddrive in my XPS M1730 notebook, I see the drive in the BIOS and also when I go to device manager I can see it in there but not in my computer so I can't access it, any suggestions?

2. Arsenaly

Arsenaly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    reFormat the 2nd HD

3. Forte

Forte NBR's Supreme Angel

Reputations:
    Yup, reformat it and you'll be all set, just use all the default settings (4092 allocation unit, etc) and you'll be good to go.

4. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I can't see it in my computer how can I format the drive? I go to the properties of the drive under device manager but it doesn't give me tha option.

5. Forte

Reputations:
    Oh sorry about that. You have to activate your drive first.

Open up "Disk Management" in Windows Vista. Its under the Control Panel.

You will see the second drive of yours. Right click on it and click "Activate" or something along those lines. You might be able to use it right then and there, if not, just reformat it as it will show up after you enable it.

6. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks it is formatting the drive now.

7. Forte

Reputations:
    Teriffic! Happy to help. :)

8. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    thanks Forte your instructions were good the drive is working good

9. Hmtsjmftsch

Hmtsjmftsch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Weren't your harddrives just set up in RAID 0 (so the only HD you could see was about twice the size of a normal one)? In that case it was normal (and slightly faster). I know that in some countries (like the netherlands) Dell delivers the M1730 with RAID 0 set up.

10. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I only had one harddrive in mine when I purchased it, I ordered and installed a 2nd harddrive