Can't install Windows 10 on RAID 0.

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by user54321, Apr 22, 2019.

1. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, so I got Aorus Z390 mITX motherboard and 2 M.2 NVMe SSDs that in RAID 0. Now when I want to install Windows 10 I have error message that tells that Windows cannot be installed on that disk cause of some controller that probably turned off. If I change to AHCI then I can install OS, but I need RAID 0. Any ideas?

2. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Update to latest bios first.

I had no problems, gigabyte z390 mobo with two nvme drives in raid-0.

Remember to save your settings often... I didn’t.

3. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    $20 says you'd need to slipstream RAID drivers into your Win10 ISO.

4. Martin Harding

Martin Harding Newbie

Reputations:
    Is your boot order set correctly? That can sometimes impact the ability to install windows on a disk, and also is the RAID set as bootable? That needs to be set in the RAID controller.

5. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've tried to load RST drivers during Windows installing (about 5-6 versions) but nothing changed. I want to try different Windows to install. I'll try to upade BIOS too, but how to check boot order? Also I have 2nd PC and I need RAID 0 there too, I want to try today to install Windows, I guess its gonna be the same issue.

6. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So different version of Windows didn't give any results, the problem remains. On 2nd PC I can install Windows on RAID 0 without any issues... almost. After Windows installed and reboot I don't see picture (so have no idea if Windows boots after installation), actually doesn't matter what I do, but after reboot I don't have signal on the screen. These all problems confuse me, it simple and must work but for some reason don't I can't find out why. Everything brand new, also tried iGPU and GPU and both give the same result.

7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    did you try the diskpart / clean command to completely wipe the disk(s) then type convert gpt then hit enter and try again?

Also ensure that you have booted the USB stick in UEFI mode

NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide

8. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, I did it and tried both - UEFI and Legacy. If CSM disable, Windows won't boot. Now, the last thing I have to try - to update BIOS, if this won't give any results then I give up.

9. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OK, I've tried everything, I give up. Updating BIOS gave nothing. I don't understand what's the problem and how to fix it. On 2nd PC I didn't use drivers or anything else, right out from the box works fine, installed Windows 10 on the same RAID 0. Of course its different components, but it doesn't mean it don't have to work, it supposed to be and I paid for it. Even technical support don't want to help, just stuck. If you have ideas, I don't mind to try something else, it must something, maybe I just missed.

10. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations: