Can't get Corsair Force MP400 SSD to work in GS65 Stealth Thin -laptop. Combability issue?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by kko, Oct 9, 2021.

1. NeXt3R

NeXt3R Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    DEL key not works ?
    for bios

2. NeXt3R

Reputations:
    no ,.,.all is only for disk management
    .,,and bios works without storage "custom RAM"

edit., but bad RST drivers or NVME drivers
    can damage data! "ssd is impossible recover" carefully // backup

3. kko

kko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The laptop boots into bios fine when only the Corsair SSD is inserted. But not when Win10 USB stick is inserted (bootloop).

However, the USB stick boot works (when only Corsair is inside) after we changed to AHCI mode!

Now trying to change Win10 registry settings to AHCI so I don't have to reinstall it.

4. NeXt3R

Reputations:
    no need ,.,.only select sata controler + in windows install correct drivers
    your previous state is RST but un-configured .,,.OK

edit

5. kko

kko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We are doing that right now, and putting the Corsair back in.

Aaaand it seems to work now, with both Samsung and Corsair in, thanks to the AHCI mode.

Strangely, if the laptop battery gets disconnected, then the BIOS settings reset back to SATA SELECTION = RST mode, fast boot enabled. If that happens, I'm screwed because then the bootloop comes back, and I can't get into the BIOS without removing the Corsair SSD.

6. NeXt3R

Reputations:
    you can try "private mod" @Svet on MSI forum

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?forums/private-unofficial-modified-biosses-ec-fw.51/
    change DEFAULT setup on your preferred

fastboot also doesn't work ?? ,.,. do you only need a SATA CONTROLLER - AHCI ?

edit
    and in windows update drivers "best from device manager" only INF
    try 18.36 package from link above "latest for modern windows / chipset"
    or around 17.9 version is AHCI for 300 series chip

good luck

7. kko

kko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for all your help NeXt3R, for helping to solve this issue!

I'll keep the modified BIOS in mind, but at this point I don't want to mess with the BIOS. Even if removing the battery (or it running out??) will reset the BIOS settings, where SATA CONTROLLER is AHCI, which causes the Corsair SSD to go into a boot loop.

Yes, setting SATA CONTROLLER to AHCI was the solution. Unfortunately disabling Fast Boot and Secure Boot didn't work in solving the boot loop (or it might have solved it, but the default BIOS setting for Fast Boot was Enabled).

Now that the SATA CONTROLLER is AHCI, I can't find the Intel RST device in my device manager anymore. So I'm not sure what difference installing newer drivers for it would do.

8. kko

kko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To answer your question about updating the Corsair SSD:
    The Corsair SSD Toolbox software could detect the SSD, while it was connected via USB when using my Akasa external M2 case. There was no new firmware for that particular SSD, so I couldn't test whether updating the firmware would have worked.

9. kko

kko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally, I will explain why it was so difficult to get Corsair Force MP400 SSD to work in my MSI GS65 Stealth Thin laptop.

For some reason the laptop would go into a boot loop, whenever the Corsair SSD was installed, AND the SATA SELECTION mode was set to RST in BIOS settings. In this situation there was no way to get out of the boot loop or even get into BIOS to change settings. The only option was to take out the Corsair SSD.

This issue was complicated by the fact that the BIOS settings would reset into default if the battery was disconnected. Unfortunately these default settings included having SATA SELECTION mode as RST, and Fast Boot as enabled. Whenever we took out the motherboard to install the Corsair SSD, we also disconnected the motherboard from the battery. This is why whenever we installed the Corsair SSD, the BIOS was always reset to those unfortunate settings that caused an unrecoverable boot loop.

In the end, the solution to this boot loop was simple:
    1. Take out the Corsair SSD and put the motherboard back into the laptop.
    2. Configure Windows 10 so that it will start in the safe mode by default.
    3. Boot into BIOS and set SATA SELECTION mode as AHCI.
    4. Take out the motherboard, but keep the battery connected.
    5. Install the Corsair SSD, and make sure that the motherboard does NOT get disconnected from the battery.
    6. Put the motherboard back into the laptop, and restart it. Now the computer should boot into Windows 10 safe mode, and update itself to support AHCI.
    7. Configure Windows 10 so that it will start in the normal mode by default.
    8. Do not reset the BIOS or set SATA SELECTION back to AHCI. Do not disconnect the motherboard from the battery.

10. andr89cher

andr89cher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If your bios settings are reset, then the CMOS battery is dead in the laptop. You should replace the battery and there will be no problems in the near future. The CMOS battery in a laptop is approximately discharged in 5-7 months.