cant enter uefi/bios but laptop boots windows

Discussion in 'MSI' started by JulesWinnfield, Jan 13, 2018.

1. JulesWinnfield

JulesWinnfield Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have an approx. 3 years old MSI GE70 2pc laptop. DIdnt touch any settings since about 1.5 - 2 years, working like a charm. Last week I tried checking the ram settings and frequencies and was shocked that i couldnt enter the bios. Initially i thought i forgot how to enter, if it was somethign other than the del button.
    It freezes with a non blinking cursor in the mid-left. Only way to escape is a power button off.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Serial Number: 9S7175912289ZE5000029
    Product Name: GE70 2PC
    OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver.1709(OS build 16299.15.amd64fre.rs3_release.170928-1534)
    Windows Product Key: 3V66T
    HDI Build: non-OEM
    BIOS Version: E1759IMS.616
    BIOS Release Date: 2014/04/16
    EC Version: 1759EMS1 Ver5.09, 12/01/2014
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

Very similar problem to the below:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nto-bios-or-stuck-at-msi-screen.789775/page-3

However the solution listed there was somehow they found a bin flash file which is not available or at least i couldnt find for my laptop.
    How can i find what motherboard version i have?
    How can the laptop boot if the uefi/bios is not working?
    I noticed my bios version is not the latest, E1759IMS.62D how can i flash it hoping for a solution if i cant get into legacy bios?

Thanks so much for any help guys, i cant afford a mobo replacement so i hope theres still some hope here.

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. JulesWinnfield

Reputations:
    Is the GT70 mobo the same as my GE70?
    The F11 menu doesn't work in my case, I get the same non blinking cursor in the mid left freeze as in the linked thread.
    I was thinking about resetting my entire windows 10 in hope it does something to the UEFI (or the uefi partition?) so i made a win 10 boot usb and sometimes (not always) i can get under the troubleshooting restart modes a boot option to use the USB after which it will use the usb win10 install boot. Should i try restarting to that with nothing else on the USB stick than a GE70 bios?

4. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Fixed the link for ya, my bad.

If it boots from your USB stick then all is fine, no need to F11 then, just boot from your USB stick, flash new BIOS. Also do an EC reset after flashing BIOS + EC, just in case.

How to EC reset

In case you're unsure how to make a bootable flash drive:
    How to make a bootable flashdrive

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    1) Read this guide: How to update MSI Laptop BIOS

2) Secondly, you need to boot into the BIOS to access the UEFI update. Firstly, make sure your DEL key is actually working by trying to delete something when typing, if it is working, then you may need to reset your BIOS as something's just not right if you can't enter the BIOS by hitting the DEL key.

Turn the laptop on its back and look if you see a small hole where you can enter a sharp object there should be a reset button there. that's how it is on my GT73VR Titan pro, if you can't find such a button / hole, then try this.

Turn off the laptop, now press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, do not release it even if you see the laptop boot cycling, that should reset the BIOS to defaults then try hitting the DEL key the moment it starts, keep spamming the DEL key quickly

If all fails, then disconnect the power cable, open the back panel on the laptop then see if you can locate the CMOS battery and remove it then wait for 30 seconds, then put it back again

Once you are able to enter BIOS, go the UEFI BIOS update and update your BIOS as per the guide in step 1 above

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    deleted

7. JulesWinnfield

Reputations:
    Hi,

thank you so much for these replies!
    Well the entire problem is that i cant enter the uefi bios. The del button works for sure, that i can confirm in windows. F11 doesnt work either, gives the same freeze.
    On the GE70 there is no such button at least i couldnt find it yet.

I already tried the cmos reset method although with disconnected AC and battery that was the method I found. Should i try it connected / keep pressing while it boots?
    The cmos battery i cant disconnect its not accessible its under the non removable cover.
    Do you think i should try taking apart the entire laptop and try to disconnect the cmos battery before trying to flash the newer bios with Danishblunt's method?

8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    OP clearly stated he can't access his BIOS, so this method won't work. His EC/BIOS is likely damaged or he updated EC only/ BIOS only and needs to be reflashed.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    no that's too much trouble to reset a BIOS, taking it apart is very difficult. Try the DOS Flash method although I've never tried it myself

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I read what the OP said ok? Didn't you read the methods I suggested of how to reset the BIOS? :rolleyes: that's because I saw that he can't get into his BIOS!

@JulesWinnfield

Did you try tuning off the laptop, then while it's connected to the AC Power, hold the power button for 30 seconds straight and see if it resets your BIOS?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018