Can't adjust brightness on windows 10 on my old notebook hardware upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by TakedaYabu, Feb 17, 2019.

1. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Which GPU did you have activated when you did this? ATI or Intel?

TakedaYabu likes this.
  2. TakedaYabu

TakedaYabu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you, I will give it a shot once I return home.

3. TakedaYabu

TakedaYabu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I didn't activate anything, which means I just kept using my Dedicated GPU (Radeon 5470 HD 512mb) as always.

4. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My reasoning is that if I want to install a driver for a device, I should have the device connected and activated.
    In this case, if you want to install the Intel GPU driver you should have it activated first (deactivate ATI GPU).

There is no MS basic GPU, only MS basic driver. The MS basic driver servers the purpose of acting as a temporary driver for ANY GPU until a better one is installed, preferably from the manufacturer (Intel) or laptop brand (Acer).

TakedaYabu likes this.
  5. TakedaYabu

TakedaYabu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I did what you said, and not to my surprised, it didn't worked... this is starting to get on my nerves.

1. Activated the MS Basic GPU (which you call it driver, but it clearly says GPU in the device manager);
    2. When installing (again) that Intel VGA Driver you told me to download, it popped up a warning saying that I don't have the latest Microsoft .NET Framework, so I went to the Microsoft Updates, but nothing was required to download. Still, I went online and searched for the latest version of the Microsoft .NET Framework which is the 4.7.2 and apparently I couldn't install it because I already have that version, or a better version! WTF MICROSOFT...???
    3. Anyways, I felt extremely angry, but still decided to collect myself, and proceed with the installation of the Intel VGA Driver none the less (with the MS Basic GPU still activated);
    4. At the end of the installation, the brightness worked (because it always work with the MS Basic GPU on);
    5. I switched to my Dedicated Radeon GPU, and it still didn't work...
    Conclusion, I'm back to the initial situation with or without that driver.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  6. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tbh im at a loss. Its clear that thats you still dont have your display driver installed and it sounds like your system has switchable graphics. Can you check device manager to see what other drivers you're missing. Normally when you do a clean install you would need install all of the drivers/software from your manufacturer before doing anything else.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...indows-7-and-Windows-Vista-exe-?product=80939

Try installing those drivers. I know they're Win7 drivers but they should still work for Win10 systems and your CPU is supported. Its very difficult to find Win10 drivers for older systems.

TakedaYabu likes this.
  7. TakedaYabu

TakedaYabu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So what you want me to do is to switch back on again to the Microsoft GPU and install/run the Win7Vista_152258.exe?

8. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, Just install those drivers. I dont know what else we can suggest at this point.

Windows normally installs the MS basic driver when you dont have your display driver from Intel/AMD/Nvidia installed.

TakedaYabu likes this.
  9. TakedaYabu

TakedaYabu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello again.

It didn't work, as I was expecting.

I'm extremely disapointed at how Microsoft, considering it is a multi-billionaire company, fails to comply with a basic functionality such as something like the freaking brightness on a modern 2010 laptop which fully supports windows 10.

Not even their automatic troubleshooting detects this flaw?.... lol

And they ask over 100 bucks for their OS... what a joke.

Very disapointed... considering changing to Linux once and for good.

10. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Again a clean install of Windows is not going install all of the drivers for your system and worse for older systems. Can you check device manager to see if you're missing other any drivers, If so get them from Acer. Other than that maybe try putting your old CPU and then try installing your display driver.

TakedaYabu likes this.