CAN'T ACCESS INTERNET BUT GOOD WIFI CONNECTION!

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by brobiche, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobiche

brobiche Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got a sony viao with built-in Wifi. It says I have excellent connection to wireless newtworks (from my home, from school, from coffee shops, etc) but when I am unable to access the internet or use my outlook express or aol. What is going on?

2. jchastain

jchastain Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not sure on this one but I think the problem might be that windows is not allowing you to connect to an "insecure" (not encrypted) network without explicitly stating you are willing to do so. I seem to vaguely recall running into that before with XP. Try double clicking on the connection icon and see if there is something that essentially says to connect anyway.

3. brobiche

Reputations:
    I have disabled all security and still am unable to connect. I have tried changng from 802.11 b and g to only b to only g. Still nothing. I have tried releasing all the IP #s too. Nothing

4. jchastain

Reputations:
    OK, let's walk through a few screens just to confirm we are saying the same thing. First, confirm for me that you are using Win XP. If so, at the bottom right of your screen (in the system tray) there should be a picture of a computer with little squiggly "radio wave" lines. I assume this is where you are seeing the good signal. Click on that icon. (If you do not have that, go to the control panel, hit network connections, and select your wireless connection to get to the same place).

Once there, hit the button near the bottom right that says "view wireless networks". Click on that and you should see your local wireless network displayed. Hit the refresh network list button near the top left (just to be sure) and highlight your local network and hit the connect button near the bottom right. (If you were already connected then disconnect and then hit connect again just to refresh it).

OK, now tell us what happens. Were you able to connect? Are you able to use the web? If not, do one more thing. Hit the start button and select run and then type "cmd" and hit enter to open a command (DOS) window. Type "ipconfig" and hit enter. If you know networking basics, then try to ping the gateway address. If not, just tell us exactly what comes up there.

5. brobiche

Reputations:
    Yes, Windows XP Pro. I have done all those things. I've tried clicking 'repair', I've tried reconfiguring it, I've tried releasing all IP #s and resetting. Every time I go to the internet (or aol or netscape or outlook express) it has it cannot detect network settings.

6. jchastain

Reputations:
    You say you release your IP settings, do you get IP settings on your wireless device? And do you have any other network connections active?

7. gampy

gampy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    have you run the internet connection wizard to establish the connection. If you are using a wireless router you may have to use the ip address of the router as the default gateway I have a vaio and have had no problem connecting. On last thing if you are trying to connect to a secure network you will need to enter the WEP key

8. brobiche

Reputations:

I HAVE DISABLED ALL SECURITY PROTECTION. I HAVE CONFIRMED THAT I AM WILLING TO CONNECT TO ANY INSECURE NETWORKS. I HAVE DIABLED FIREWALL AND ALL OF MY SECURITY PROGRAMS

9. jchastain

Reputations:
    We're getting into the obscure possibilities now. That's why I asked if you get an IP address and if you have any other connections.

If you are getting an IP address then you are really connected and it is a routing problem. If you have another connection (to other local machines, for example) then you might be connecting to that other network first and your default routing is down that dead end street.

If you don't have an IP address, then the connection is never being properly established and it might be a wireless connection problem or a DHCP problem (getting an address).

But it doesn't appear to be one of the common, typical problems.

One other thought though - have you checked to ensure you have the newest drivers for your wireless device?

10. merlin666

merlin666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by brobiche

Lasted edited by : May 8, 2015