Cannot restore OS

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by runt, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:

This is what I get for a) trusting statement A and b) reading too quickly and missing statement B.

Let's back up. You had a dual boot system here, which means you rewrote the master boot record on a pre-activated version of Windows Vista when you loaded Ubuntu, and then you want to do a system recovery, which needs to access the master boot record to verify this is the same harddrive so that the hardware specific recovery disks can work.

I think maybe this is part of the problem?

Pretty sure DMI.exe is part of the recovery process that is checking the hardware to make certain that you are not trying to dupe your OS to a different machine. You splooged the drive when you screwed around with the MBR, including and specific Toshiba information in there so DMI could restore your preactivated version of vista.

I think the memory that could not be read is the information DMI is looking to verify--not memory in ram.

Did you explain to Toshiba when you talked to them that you had done this?

It is possible that there is some way to restore the original MBR, I supposed...maybe they have a utility they can send you...odds are, they are going to need to re-image the drive

2. runt

runt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    this is not the cause as i have run the recovery wizard with ubuntu loaded on the drive previously. i also removed drub from the mbr. basically, i have tried all the previous steps to fix the issue that i used when i couldn't get the wifi working in my first venture into ubuntu on it. and i am not goint to accept toshiba saying that all they can do is send the laptop back to them for the second time (third time in service) because their service techs screwed somethign up (i.e. the discs didn't work before i loaded ubuntu but i thought nothing of it). i also never had the dual boot working, the partition editor messed up before i got that far.

3. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    I'm not saying you didn't have it working---I am saying that your recovery program is looking for something that has been altered.

You may think you put it back the way you had it when you started, but something if amiss. You have had this laptop for two months and you've been messing around with it ever since trying to get Linux onto it, but keep blaming toshiba. It was working when you got it back and the first thing you do is run a system recovery?

The partition editor messed up before you got that far....dude, the partition editor you were running screwed up your MBR...that's why your having this problem.

I don't want to be mean, but arghhh!

This is what I would do if I were you....get yourself an OEM version of VISTA, wipe out the drive and start from scratch. Consider it a learning experience.

I know you won't do this. I know you will read this and think I am as much of a bastard as the Toshiba people. I know that despite all evidence to the contrary this is someone else's fault.

That won't change the truth, though--you messed up your laptop. If you want them to fix it, grit your teeth and send it back and have them reimage it or do as I suggested and go with your own OEM version of Vista or XP. This will give you a better starting point then these "recovery solutions" these PC makers come up with.

Or just dump Windows all together.

You seem like a tweaker at heart, an experimenter...that's good. I respect that. But this is not Toshiba's fault. The errors you are getting are a direct result of the recovery set being confused by what you have done to your hardware

4. runt

runt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the first time i installed ubuntu it wiped out the entire hd and i was able to use the recovery cd that time. i have also been able to use the recovery cd after installing mac os x 10.5.1 and wiping the drive in that setup too. the problem initially started when i took a trip to north carolina for work and they didn't have a company laptop to give me. it refused to power on the second day i was there and when i took it to COMPAR in minnetonka they messed up my touchpad. i then shipped it to toshiba and it has always been my habit to redo the os as soon as i know everything is working correctly when i send it in for service. i would like to know why it doesn't work when i used the exact same procedure i used previously after i get it back from service. something seems fishy to me, as does the fact that i keep getting disconnected after being on hold for half an hour when i am told to stay on the line if i need to speek to someone. to be honest, i would love to just install windows xp on the thing and be done with it, but since i would loose the ability to adjust screen brightness (at all) by doing this i can't really justify it. i am honestly about ready to just keep linux on it if i can get my wifi working again (pain in the ass using ndiswrapper and wpa) but i would like to know why they have to provide a recovery disc that can't be used if you have to replace the hd in your computer which toshiba will sell you.........

as for being a tweaker, i am. but i want to dualboot vista and linux in case i cannot get my obdii adapter working in linux (not working so far) so i can read and reset trouble codes on my car until i can fix the one error it has right now.

5. kresston

kresston Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Runt,

Just as an aside did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same issue with my A215-S5818 that I bought in January (no hardware mods just an upgrade to Vista Ultimate I got from school). Any insights?

kresston

6. kresston

kresston Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was able to get this error fixed. It's a case of a DMI error. The BIOS on my machine was configured incorrectly, but I found a program, from Toshiba, to fix the DMI, after much trial and error the recovery disc's worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.