Cannot install drivers 770m SLI upgrade on M18x r2

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by DoubleHelixx, May 3, 2020.

1. DoubleHelixx

DoubleHelixx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That would be a great video. I meant to ask you where the best place to start learning how to mod drivers. It would be a great thin to have. Please post a link if/when you do the "How-to."

2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here is a thread that I was given that I used to teach myself if you want to have a practice. Not sure when I'll get a chance to make a video.

https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

Just note that in [2] Extract Driver it tells you to close the installer once it fails. If you close the installer the Nvidia files are removed from you PC. You leave the installer open and find the Nvidia file in your C drive and copy it. Then you can close the installer and the original files will disappear but your copied version is left for you to mod.

EDIT: One of the biggest mistakes people make is in part [5]. They find the first group of Device ID's and insert their new line in there. For cards that can be used in multiple Windows versions there are two more large groups of ID's below the first group. They are easy to miss is you do a quick scroll with the slider bar. Basically there is one group for each OS (7,8 and 10). I put the line of ID in each group just to make sure. Some people just throw it in the first group and then do the String at the bottom and the installer doesn't work because they didn't add the ID into the correct OS. The newest drivers for the 10 series cards only have a Windows 10 group so it's a little simpler.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    imest and DoubleHelixx like this.
  3. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    Thanks! That's perfect. I'll take a look.

Maxware79 likes this.
  4. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    @Maxware79 I just noticed your in Adelaide. I'm a Sydney-sider from days past. Thanks for helping us out.

Maxware79 likes this.
  5. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah good old Radelaide. I lived in Sydney with the family back in the 80's and my sister moved back there and is in Bondi now.

Did you try your hand at modding a driver? It looks like Nvidia may have released a new driver so I think I'll try doing a 'how-to' video soon.