Cannot install drivers 770m SLI upgrade on M18x r2

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by DoubleHelixx, May 3, 2020.

1. DoubleHelixx

DoubleHelixx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Maxware79 I greatly appreciate it. What a fantastic community this is. Thank you very much.

Maxware79 likes this.
  2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No problem at all. Once I put the kids to bed I'll be able to sort it out. I modded the driver for another guy last night who had an 880M and I was hoping he had tested it to see if it worked but I haven't heard yet. I've never tested a modded driver that wasn't officially supported with the particular GPU so it's new ground for me.

DoubleHelixx likes this.
  3. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try this. If it doesn't work then I'll have to mod the 425.xx driver. Go into the International folder and the setup.exe is at the bottom. Don't forget to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement again. It only works once so if you restart your machine is defaults back to normal. Good luck!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zaeo09kc7dgao2n/AACIbOdgsnlrfAIcsF-09H8Aa?dl=0

DoubleHelixx likes this.
  4. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any news??

DoubleHelixx likes this.
  5. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm dying over here......

DoubleHelixx likes this.
  6. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    So sorry for the delay. Downloading now...

7. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    @Maxware79 I thought I was getting email notifications from this thread. Evidently not. If there is a way to enable that I'd love to know. I didn't realize you had posted the link. Thanks for doing the work on this. I'll let you know the results shortly.

8. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There's a Watch Thread icon at the top of the thread page at the right hand side. When you select it you can choose whether or not to allow email notifications.

I had also modded that driver for a guy running an 880M in an M17x R4 and he said the driver worked great for him so I'm hoping I did your code right too. Just remember to disable driver signature enforcement or it won't work.

9. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    @Maxware79 SUCCESS!! The driver works. THANK YOU!!! We have risen above the best efforts to thwart us of our right to use what we own, to even own anything. You are a champion @Maxware79 and we remain free.THANK YOU!!

BTW, because I was inactive, I had not reconfirmed my account and was not getting the email notifications I had set in preferences. I apologize again for the delay.

If you have a recommendation on the best way to monitor the new, second GPU fan I've installed and keep an eye on GPU temps, I'd appreciate any recommendations. See below:

upload_2020-5-12_0-40-26.png

Maxware79 likes this.
  10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice! People say that HWinfo64 is a great monitoring tool so I guess give that a try. It also includes fan control so you can actually set fan curves to help keep things cooler. I believe there is a detailed thread in the general forum here (not the Alienware forum).

EDIT: I'm probably going to do a 'How-to' video on driver modding so people can easily learn how to do it. Once you learn it's really quite simple.