Cannot install drivers 770m SLI upgrade on M18x r2

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by DoubleHelixx, May 3, 2020.

1. DoubleHelixx

DoubleHelixx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Windows 10
    A13 bios

Installed 2x 770m in SLI.
    Device manager shows 2x "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter."

The correct 770m for Win 10 x64 NVIDIA driver is "425.31-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql". However, it says "This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

Display adapter properties shows Nvidia chip with 8MB gram which is the SLI combined RAM.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    upload_2020-5-3_22-26-45.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need a modded driver to run anything later than the 680M in the M18x R2. Once you install the modded driver you'll get them running.

Try this one from Eurocom first just to see how it works and then you can work on learning how to mod your own newer one. I can't see if it's for Windows 7,8 or 10 though. You have to disable Driver Signature Enforcement before installing the driver. On Windows 10, hold down the SHIFT key and press restart. Go into Troubleshoot, Advanced, Startup Settings and then check what key you need to press to disable the signature enforcement then click restart. I think it's F7. Once it restarts press F7 (I think) and it will restart again.Now you can install the driver. If a red warning pops up while the installation is finishing then it's worked. Just click yes or accept and the driver will install.

http://downloads.eurocom.com/support/drivers/upgradeyourlaptop/Alienware/M18xR2/

EDIT: It's always a good idea to run DDU in Safe Mode before installing the new driver.

DoubleHelixx likes this.
  3. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    Thank you !!!!! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

4. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Happy to help. Got it working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, not quite working.

Started up in safe mode and ran DDU.
    Restarted with Disabled Driver Signature Enforcement (BTW is it 7 of F7 as you said and I tried both).
    Ran the Eurocom moded driver (its labeled for Win7/Win8).
    Got error: "This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."
    Restarted with DDSE, ran mod in compatibility mode and got only first part of the same error "This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows."

Do you think it requires a Win 10 compatible driver?

Thank you again for your support.

6. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So you have Windows 10 then? I'll try and mod one for you and post a Dropbox link, I'll just need your hardware ID.
    Device Manager - Display Adapters - Right Click on your card - Properties - Details - Select Hardware ID from the dropdown list. There will be 4 lines of Hardware ID. Just the first or second line is all I need.
    I already have a modded 445.xx driver done for someone else's card so I will try to include your GPU into that one. Technically the 770M support ended with the 425.xx driver but hopefully it will still work.

7. javers

javers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  8. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    Thank you @Maxware79 My hardware ID is:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E0&SUBSYS_05501028&REV_A1
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E0&SUBSYS_05501028

Many thanks!!

9. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    @javers I will keep that bios on hand. I'd like to try the modded driver first. Many thanks. Stay free.

javers likes this.
  10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just got to work so I'll have to re-mod the driver tonight. As soon as it's done I'll post a link. If it doesn't work then I'll have to re-do the 425.xx driver that's technically still supported