Can you still upgrade 7 to 10 for free?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by kojack, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It could be OLC SSD or some older stock to be cleared off from year 2012.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

No go. Apple does not support older macbook running new versions of windows. Only the current version in the year the device was produced. So my 2007 macbook can only install Vista. And agreed. Why bother with apple for desktop usage. I bought mine when Microsoft decided to not support my 1020 anymore. Dumb move and wasted money.

KING19 and Vasudev like this.
  3. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Is it possible to upgrade Vista to Windows 10?

That's why it's a bad idea buying from the same company when they control both the hardware and software. At least with Microsoft, if you buy a laptop from them, you can feel confident you'll get support if they were to introduce a totally new OS because that OS would have to work on older hardware or people would wouldn't feel the urge to dump their computers and have to buy something totally new.

With Apple, their silent strategy is we'll gladly sell you a new shiny box after we either slowdown your computer or we no longer give you another OS. And the other problem with MacOS is if you don't get further support Safari and any other web browser is essentially trash because Apple forces Google, Firefox etc to use their webkit. So when websites upgrade and Safari doesn't it makes using any browser on MacOS a PITA because it becomes incompatible with your aging OS.

I had reverted back to Mountain Lion just for speed and using Safari became a joke because most of the websites I visited didn't work properly. Installing another browser wasn't much better.

Really the only way is to install Linux on an unsupported Mac because you'll at least get software updates from Canonical.

hmscott likes this.
  4. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is the reason iOS isn't the 2nd but 3rd place after Linux. If they weren't so stuck on their iOS blocking freedom of user choice that would do more to help. Also iOS user don't talk about security it has had some very big holes blown through this so that isn't a talking point anymore.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Those users tend to give Apple a pass on security and even make excuses for mistakes because they believe and view the Fruit Loop company like Bill O'Reilly "just looking out for the folks". And Apple needs gullible customers or else they couldn't sell them overpriced and unreliable tech toys and shiny computers.

hmscott and toughasnails like this.
  6. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe my privacy is more valuable than a free spyware

Also need to turn off fast boot on win 10 or use hibernation start-up time for win 7 for fair comparison

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    By default, its disabled on my debloated Win 10.

8. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lightweightness, efficiency, and privacy under windows 10 is just like democracy and freedom of speech in North Korea. They never existed imo. Maybe this is not a fair comparison cos DPRK has a leader who's currently trying to make the country better

Vasudev likes this.
  9. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan and hmscott like this.
  10. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I'm not that surprised by those results. I always thought DirectX was trash vs OpenGL. Windows 10 is slowed down massively because of Spectre and Meltdown. But the key to Linux becoming mainstream is gaming. It's exactly what made Windows mainstream back in the late 80's to late 90's. Users who were not into Lotus 1-2-3 or Word Perfect found using a PC fun to play games like Microsoft Flight Simulator, Links Golf, Wolfenstein and Doom. That turned PC's and Windows into mainstream products.

If Linux can do the same, then I have no doubt Linux will take off and become mainstream like MacOS and Windows. But as the presenter said, Linux is not there yet as it still requires a lot of tweaking and people just want to play the game and let the operating system do it's thing. They don't want a 2019 version of Dr.-DOS or MS-DOS. Linux still requires tweaking and compiling to get the games running efficiently and that's something a novice user or as the presenter said "grandma" is not going to do.

Linux has gotten better and credit due to Mark Shuttleworth and Canonical for steering the ship and wanting to make the Terminal or command line interface CLI a thing of the past.

6730b, Papusan, kojack and 2 others like this.