Can you still upgrade 7 to 10 for free?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by kojack, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    It sure is, in fact a laptop that shipped with Windows XP is capable of running Windows 10. I should know as I have several of these laptops still going strong. Prior to switching my ThinkPad T60 to Linux Mint, it was comfortably running Windows 10 x64 with 3GB of memory and that is a 13 yr old laptop.

kojack and Vasudev like this.
  2. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I swapped the motherboard in my pc from asus z370 prime a to gigabyte z390 aorus pro. Windows installation lived, albeit I was welcomed with a watermark 2 days after the swap which I solved quickly by re-entering the key and clicking that I swapped parts. Activated within minutes again, reusing the same 15 euro OEM cheap key. Still fine several months later.

ExMM and Vasudev like this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just one of many reasons why windows based systems are better than mac. after 5 years apple decides for you, you need to upgrade your hardware. Microsoft however, says as long as the device is serving you well, keep trucking ahead. I am on the latest version of 10 on my 12 year old acer. Yes, it's slower than my new dell, but, it still is completely up to date, usable, and pretty quick. Unlike my 2007 macbook that is now a paperweight because 1. apple no longer suppports it, 2. i cannot upgrade to a more modern version of MacOS on it, 3. because apple does not support it, modern browsers like chrome or updated safari do not run on it. So really, my newer macbook, that cost 2 times the amount as my acer, is garbage, and my acer is still running perfectly fine. Here in lies my beef with apple. Oh, and the fact they still wont create a full touch mac system.

ExMM likes this.
  4. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know Windows 10 will work for some older Windows laptop. In my Dell 1525 upgraded to T8100 and 4g RAM allowed it to run Windows 10 but I suspected even with the original CPU would run Windows 10x64 Pro 1803.

5. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Same with me. I own a 2012 Mac Mini and recently I found out that my Mac Mini made the cut for MacOS 10.15 Catalina. I was surprised as I thought the cutoff would have been 7 yrs and Mojave would have been it. So I have another reprieve knowing it will take my Mac Mini out another 3-4 yrs worth of security updates if it never sees another OS update.

While there are some that like to get lathered up on popular Mac sites to trash anything that's not sold by Apple. I find it amusing how a 12-13 yr old Windows based laptop with half the RAM can boot and run faster than my 2012 Mac Mini. I had to keep it on High Sierra as running a 2012 Mac Mini on Mojave with 8GB of RAM is too frustrating. So I may have to look at buying an internal SSD drive if I want to install Catalina. I refuse to pay Apple's obscene prices for a totally GIMPED 2018 Mac Mini with 128GB of soldered SSD. I'm thru playing their up sell marketing games.

I have even run W10 on an aging Dell laptop with 2GB of RAM and a T7200 CPU and it still gets the job done. It's no better or worse in performance than my 2012 Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM.

6. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Macbooks have always been overpriced junk. I know this might piss off the Apple fans but they've a higher failure rate than Windows PCs. Plus whatever upgrade you want to do you can forget about it since almost every component is soldiered on the motherboard and dont get me started on how much repairing one will cost...

As long it has a 64bit CPU and at least 4GBs of RAM it'll be fine but i like i said before you might run into driver issues if theres isnt an updated driver that'll work on Windows 10 but its a small possibility. Also replace the HDD with an SSD you'll pretty much revive any old laptop.

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    These days its true because Windows laptops are cheap and easy to upgrade with loads of RAM and a NVMe drive to trump JokeBook Pros.
    I always get the weird faces on Apple Mac users when I say they are overpriced junks. Mac users often refute my statements because I'm poor to afford the luxury and they say I'm envied with faster performing jokebooks and luxury. In reality, my laptops costs higher than Macs but these days I just smile at them and they grin at me!

Papusan and Rodster like this.
  8. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    JokeBook Pros = Shiny Toys. They are overpriced, poorly designed ON PURPOSE so you have to turn to the fruit GOD if you need repairs. Why should I have to pay hundreds of dollars if my keyboard needs replacing because it requires extensive disassembly thanks to Jony Ive who just wants to make everything thinner? Or why should I have to pay hundreds of dollars in repairs if the $3-5 display flex cable breaks and it requires a new display?

You or anyone else shouldn't have to shell out that kind of money when it could have been avoided. It's why I decided not to buy another Mac Mini (2018) because it requires major disassembly to upgrade the RAM and the SSD storage is soldered to the motherboard. Instead I went with a Lenovo for a 1/3 the price with nearly, almost identical specs $999 vs $398. And the Lenovo comes apart in less than a minute and you can upgrade using standard parts the M2 Storage card, RAM or add a second drive all within 5-10 minutes if you decided to do all three.

People are catching on to Apple's practices although their fanbase still has not caught on although you are hearing more and more grumblings from their loyal base. Which is a bad sign for Apple because one day all of those expensive stores in some of the world's major cities will become a noose around Apple's neck as sales continue to decline.

KING19 and Vasudev like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Want the new cheap Jony Ive wouldn't accept coming from Apple and his own hands?:D

[​IMG]
    New cheaper MacBook Air found to have cheaper gimped SSD
    But but Apple will now offer you cheaper fruity Jokebooks now. Want one? And you get the Apple OS on top:vbthumbsup: Almost
    for free!

KING19 and Vasudev like this.
  10. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On a side note to everyone claiming their apple stuff are ancient and no longer supported... I read the other day that it's possible to install windows 10 on some macbooks... It sounded a lot more involved than a normal laptop's installation and drivers might prove to be difficult to find, but well... Might be something to look into - though I only found posts instructing on how to create apple/windows dual boot rather than converting it to windows completely. I never had any apple products in my whole life though so I can't care. I can have much better performance for the same price if I look elsewhere, so why even bother with apple.