Can you still upgrade 7 to 10 for free?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by kojack, Jun 30, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Just used my 7 Pro OEM sticker to reinstall 10 Pro onto my laptop, so confirmed as of 10.6.2019 to still work lol

Cass-Olé, joluke and huntnyc like this.
  2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Im using my old windows 7 desktop now. I do not use this desktop much but want to upgrade it to windows 10. I see on my sticker it says windows 10 home premium

How do i update my desktop to windows 10?

Also when I do this, is everything on my desktop going to be wiped out? I don't mind this and prefer this because I had clean installed windows 7 few times but never did it correctly because old files still stayed on c drive.

3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Do you need to have a usb flash drive to do this? If so, how much gb do you need on the flash drive?

Or can you just upgrade from windows 7 home premium to windows 10 just through some clicking on the computer?

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's better to have a USB flash drive, this way you can reinstall the OS any time you want or need. The drive should be at least 8 GB in size.

5. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hi there. If i don't have a usb flash drive 8gb or higher, can i still upgrade windows 7 to 10 now? If so, how do i do it?

Well i dont mind reinstalling the OS anytime i want or need, but can i do it right now without having a usb flash drive 8gb or bigger? I have a 4gb usb flash drive at the moment. I also have bigger ones but i don't want to use it or connect it because the windows 7 desktop im connecting to, im not sure if it has malware or not so i dont want to connect my good usb flash drives to it.

Also when i upgrade now, will it delete everything off my computer? I prefer this actually since i want my desktop to be wiped new.

7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    https://pureinfotech.com/upgrade-to-windows-10-from-windows-7/

Before starting the upgrade process, it’s recommended that you uninstall any software, such as antivirus, security software, and old third-party applications that may prevent you from successfully upgrading to Windows 10.

I myself would avoid an in-place upgrade. But thats me.
    Use another computer.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Mr. Fox and saturnotaku like this.
  9. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Your far past the upgrade free timeline it's no longer available to do that. You will have to find or buy Windows 10 from a online or local retailer now. I put Windows 10x64 Pro 1803 on a Dell 1525 but I did also upgrade this to a T8100 and 4gb Ram and so far all the Drivers from Vista works fine and Windows Updates just find and works. The age makes it slower but it runs and works for my needs. I did have to buy Windows 10 for this laptop but my Desktop was W7 and upgraded to W10 so I had now issues installing Windows 10 on it.

10. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This works only if your BIOS support boot from USB. So look at the Dell site and update the BIOS to the latest before going Windows 10. If it doesn't then you need to create the Disc boot media instead.