Can you still upgrade 7 to 10 for free?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by kojack, Jun 30, 2019.

1. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats another reason of why doing a clean install of Windows is always recommended. MS forcing people to upgrade to Windows 10 caused more problems than it solved.

6730b likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Clean install doesn't help HDD perform smoothly and SSD is recommended.

heliada likes this.
  3. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Yes you definitely can. I just upgraded my Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny desktop (basically a laptop in a metal box). I went from Windows 10 Home and used a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade key that I purchased back in 2009 and it's made it's way to several PC's over the years. I assigned it to the ThinkCentre Tiny and it took it no problems.

Question? Now that I have converted it from Windows 10 Home to Pro, did Secure Boot also get updated? That's the part i'm not sure about without a reinstall. Anyone have info on how Secure Boot UEFI handles Windows 10 upgrades?

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Secure boot is simply a false sense of security. You see, any MSFT signed OS say Ubuntu can be run once signature is validated and shown to BIOS. Only advantage is lower POST time in Secure Boot mode and aside from that no real benefit.
    Secure Boot is BIOS dependent feature aka EFI BIOS manufactured post 2012.

True but you also carry over the junk like registry problems, driver issues and so on doing the upgrade option, It can even slow down an SSD and a lot worse on an HDD.

I do a manual cleanup of registry, drivers etc... It runs much better than OEM OS but takes a nose-dive when heavy IO is lauched or fired up, say custom ISO re-mastering etc..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
    Vasudev, 6730b and heliada like this.
  5. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Windows 7 > 10 is still an upgrade. Lots of updates and most notably the Linux subsystem. A whole lot easier than configuring a dual-boot

6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Viares Strake and Vasudev like this.