Can you still upgrade 7 to 10 for free?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by kojack, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, Linux is free. How much space it needs depends on the distro and how many features it has. You can read on the system requirements many places.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

I recommend trying it out with a bootable USB created from ISO prior to installing. It will run slower from USB. You won't have graphics acceleration and things like that running from USB, but you can get a good feel for whether or not you are going to like it.

2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for response. Would you suggest downloading linux on a chromebook though? The thing is i use chromebook to web browse and stream and download.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I don't see any reason not to. But, I would burn the ISO to bootable USB and run the live USB version first to see how the Chromebook handles it and to confirm that you like before installing it.

Ultra Male likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For point and clicking W7 just works even after a decade unlike Win 10 giving you BSOD and other bloatwares to force HW upgrades.
    Linux Mint or Zorin should put you at home!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I never experienced a bsod with windows 10 on a fully working machine (any pc I had my hands on). The only thing that ever gave me bsod was a laptop with broken drivers, which a clean install solved (until I reinstalled said drivers or windows did - which could be prevented). That said, it was the drivers that were faulty and not windows.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    In fact even I didn't have too much BSODs. Its simply a remark I said because everyone is tired of hearing Win 10 is slow, laggy and forced update are a mess and what not!

7. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I hear quite the opposite. What you think isn't what others think. Whom is everyone and what is that based on bad loaded drivers or actual Windows O/S fault?

heliada likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Most of them are on HDD and low RAM which had W7/8.1 OEM version force upgraded to 10.

heliada likes this.
  9. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I have had little trouble getting Windows 10 running on older equipment i.e. laptops 8 yrs + even with low rated specs. The only laptop Dell circa 2007 that produces BSOD is the same laptop that produces BSOD running Windows Vista/7/8, and on because it has a defective memory slot #2. So I can only run it with one memory slot. It took me awhile to figure that one out because it would always pass memtest.

10. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Microsoft pitches free help for Windows 7-to-Windows 10 upgraders.

"With its FastTrack assistance program, the company will work with customers migrating from Windows 7, either Enterprise or Professional, or Windows 8.1 Enterprise or Professional, to Windows 10 Enterprise."

The assistance comes free of charge with the purchase of at least 150 licenses for one of the eligible subscription plans or service. Not surprisingly, those subscriptions include Office 365 as well as Microsoft’s current emphasis, Microsoft 365 (M365).

tl;dr
    Free assistance if you purchase 150 licenses. lol.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...lp-for-windows-7-to-windows-10-upgraders.html

KING19, Vasudev and Papusan like this.