Can you still upgrade 7 to 10 for free?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by kojack, Jun 30, 2019.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have used both mint and elementary. Both are OK, but not there yet. That being said, if I had to choose between macos and Linux, Linux all the way.

2. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Mint by far is the absolute BEST choice if you want to jump from Windows and dip your toes in the Linux world. That said Ubuntu is the best as far as stability because Mint uses Ubuntu as it's base and if I read correctly, Mint 19.2 "Tina" is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There's Pop OS for bleeding edge SW and gaming on Linux w/ Ubuntu/Debian base.

4. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think this thread is no longer about upgrading from win 7 to 10. I'd suggest you guys create a new thread that is relevant if you wanna continue....

Mr. Fox and kojack like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Heck, I'll use them all when doing so is to my advantage. No need for anyone to be bashful. We all have our personal favorites, but each OS offers something worth exploiting. Choices are always nice to have. Our "friends" at Micro$lop don't behave as though they agree with that, but that's OK. We don't have to care what they think to have it our way.
    GRUB2.jpg BootMenu.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    joluke, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have an old dell xps 8100 desktop that was bought back in 2010 or so that still uses windows 7. I rarely if ever use that desktop ever. Could i still upgrade it to windows 10? That desktop was bought directly from dell years ago. I don't have access to the desktop now but i know there is a sticker on the desktop where it shows the product key.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Probably so. If you rarely ever use it, probably not worth doing since Windows 10 is inferior.

Sounds like an even better candidate for Linux. Since you are not using it a lot, you probably don't need to do anything on it that requires Windows. Web browsing, email and basic word processing, etc. works just as well on Linux as it does on Windows.

If you are concerned about "security" and that is why you are considering Windows 10, Linux will be more secure than Windows 10. Linux Mint should work fantastic on it.

Vasudev and joluke like this.
  8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You mean windows 10 inferior to windows 7?

Is linux free to install? Is process easy to do it? How long does it take? I currently have a chromebook with me at the moment. My dell desktop is not with me at the moment. Would you suggest installing linux on chromebook or not? So if i do, i have option to use either chromebook or linux?

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, in my opinion, Windows 7 is a superior product overall than Windows 10. (You either love or hate Windows 10 and there is not much middle ground.)

Linux is very easy to install, but it can be intimidating if you have never done it in the same way doing a clean install of Windows can be if you have never done it. It installs about as fast was Windows. It sometimes requires more tinkering. It's great if you like that kind of thing. If you are looking for something that requires no great amount of thought or effort, Windows is a little easier. Because your Dell desktop is older (not super crazy old, but not cutting edge,) there is a really good chance Linux will be extremely easy to install and require little or no extra tweaking. Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop environment is an easy and user-friendly distro geared toward people moving from Windows to Linux. The Mint UI (desktop environment) has many similarities to Windows. Ubuntu is also easy, but the UI (Unity desktop environment) is not like Windows. Some love Unity and others do not care for it. (Linux Mint is built on Ubuntu.) Some other distros are not noob friendly like Ubunty/Linux Mint.

I have never installed Linux on a Chromebook. Since most have very limited flash memory, that might not be as good as leaving it running Chrome OS. Chrome OS probably requires less in terms of system resources than what Linux needs to run well. Most Chromebooks are fairly anemic in terms of specs, with limited RAM, storage and processing power.

I have run Chrome OS on a PC with system resources and specs that far exceed anything you would find on a Chromebook, but I have never owned a Chromebook, so you would have to get advice on this from someone with more knowledge than I have on the subject of Chromebooks to get sound guidance on whether or not running a full-featured Linux distro on it will be a good experience. There are stripped down versions of Linux that might run well on a Chromebook, but they may be lacking in terms of features that you appreciate with Chrome OS.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi. Yes chromebook is limited in many things. There is only 32gb but its less because of the OS. Also the ram is less etc.

But how much space does linux take up? So it takes up more space on a windows computer than chromebook? Or same?

Linux is free correct?

Mr. Fox likes this.