Can we have the signature rules increased?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I had to cut off some details from my signature like my mouse, and a few other things in order to keep my signature in one long line

I remember the signature rules say that it has to be 4 lines (maybe it's appearing as one line in my system due to the fact that my screen resolution is 1440P

But can we please get a bit more lenient with the signature length, just a little bit

I have 2 images in my sig and one long line but if I add a few other specs like the audio chipset in my laptop or exact RAM model rather than just Kingston and my Logitech Mouse, my signature stretches to 2 lines

I hope you can help me, here is how I would like my signature to look, any recommendations?

@Charles P. Jefferies

MSI GT73VR 7RF Titan Pro-425 - Intel Kaby Lake i7-7820HK | Kingston MSI24D4S7D8MB-16 2400 MHz.(17-17-17-39) 64GB DDR4 RAM | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 | Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265| Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 17.3" FHD 120 Hz/5ms screen (G-SYNC) | 2x Samsung 960 PRO 2TB [Super RAID 4] + 850 EVO 1TB + 850 EVO 4TB SSDs | Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Wireless Gaming Mouse | 330W AC Power Adapter | Windows 10 Pro
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've set the font size in the above example to size 4 but I can set it to size 3 if needed.

Can a mod please tell me what's the best way to go about this or if the rules can be a bit more lenient

Thank you

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No offense, but your signature as it sits is borderline obnoxious in terms of its size. The pictures you have do not need to be that large.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    no offsnese taken, I'm just trying to have my entire signature there and not be against the rules at the same time

I'll try decreasing the image size/font now

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    ok how about this mods:

MSI GT73VR 7RF Titan Pro-425 - Intel Kaby Lake i7-7820HK | Kingston MSI24D4S7D8MB-16 2400 MHz.(17-17-17-39) 64GB DDR4 RAM | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 | Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265| Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 17.3" FHD 120 Hz/5ms screen (G-SYNC) | 2x Samsung 960 PRO 2TB [Super RAID 4] + 850 EVO 1TB + 850 EVO 4TB SSDs | Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Wireless Gaming Mouse | 330W AC Power Adapter | Windows 10 Pro

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It might just be compliant if you remove that enormous gap between the text and the graphics. Check what the forum rules have to say.

Personally I like signatures to be brief and informative. Your graphics don't add much value but take up otherwise useful space in the discussion. Two copies of your signature as it is at the moment fills 80% of the vertical height of my screen. I should charge you rent. :eek:

John

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I agree that the vertical space between the text in your signature and the images is what makes it look big. See the forum rules as John noted for size specifics.

The text alone in your signature speaks for itself, IMO. Less is more. It's a nice laptop but is it really necessary to put the timings for your RAM, etc. It's hard to read. You might consider creating an extended signature in this thread.

Charles

hmscott and bloodhawk like this.
  7. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On anything 1080 and up I always run split screen, so I have two windows side by side. Could be browser and video, or whatever else I am doing. So even at 1440, your very fist post takes up almost my entire screen!

Personally, I hate reading an entire paragraph in one line across a high res display. I prefer to read as if it was a page of paper, in paragraphs and such.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The signature rules may seem restrictive, but they are there for readability purposes. With the still high number of cheap low res laptops and the current trend of website design that makes the content density low (which there is no escaping from even with recent versions of forum platforms) the number of posts you can see even on a 1920x1080 or higher res display is appalling. Heck, I run the site with an adblocker and the vB 3.x theme and I'm still seeing 2-3 posts on my display at most.

It is totally understandable that you want to show off your rigs, but minimizing your signature size makes the forum more enjoyable to browse which ends up being a huge plus for every member.

John Ratsey and downloads like this.
  9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    since my MSI laptop with a 1080P display is being replaced now, I am using my wife's Dell Vostro which has a 1366x768 resolution and now I see what you're saying, I have thus eliminated a few items.

You see, the sig on my 1080P display seemed fine all in one or two lines, but when I switched to her laptop, it was so big and had 4 lines + those images

so I've decreased the text to fit in 2 lines and also decreased the image size

I hope it's ok now

downloads likes this.
  10. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And on a 1080 split screen, it takes up 5 lines! Mine takes up 6 lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.