Can Throttlestop to be used stop BSOD?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by chdsl, Dec 30, 2021.

1. chdsl

chdsl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am just a normal user, never before tweaked Windows. Recently, I've bought a used Windows 11 laptop (it was Windows 10, but upgraded to 11). This was supposed to be given to a little kid, The person, who sold it said that sometimes, it got throttled, so he used Throttlestop to stop that, but he didn't say anything about BSOD. He sent the laptop with Throttlestop configured, and it just worked. He sent it with his username and pin. But, when I reset the laptop, BSOD happened whenever it wanted, restarting it. Never had a BSOD before. Before resetting the laptop, I had copied the Throttlestop folder. Still, I read through the Throttlestop guide (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107), downloaded Throttlestop and created a task to start at login. The laptop worked without a BSOD since then. I used it for 10-12 hours continuously, and nothing untoward happened. (I am actually testing it, before giving it away.)

I left it off for 2 days, and booted it again, I got a BSOD. Throttlestop appeared to be running, though. Restarted it manually, rebooted, and the BSOD is gone, for last ~4-5 hours. This a simple convertible laptop with a Pentium Silver N5000 @1.1 GHz. The question is, is it possible to use Throttlestop to stop having a BSOD?

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    BSOD should give you a code of what's causing it. There's probably something else unrelated to TS causing the issue. Sometimes it's just a matter of reseating the RAM / HD or something else. When I was playing around with power supplies / USB-PD charging I rand into some kernel issues aka BSOD / random reboots. I eventually traced it down to a drive issue that resolved it when it got upgraded to a newer version.

W10/W11 doesn't really make a difference in what the root cause is. If you go into event manager and look through the critical errors you should be able to spot correlating processes prior to the BSOD halt. It could be a simple driver issue related to WIFI / GPU or something else causing it to halt.

3. chdsl

Reputations:
    Where should I look in the Event manager? Or is it the Event viewer? I am quite a noob in Windows.

The code given is Whea Uncorrectable error. I checked the memory with mdsched.exe, and the ssd drive. Windows says they are good and correctly working.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  4. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    manager won't do much... viewer is where the info is. Just hit start and type in event and it should come up to open it.

upload_2021-12-30_9-32-17.png

If you want to cut to the chase filter for critical and it slims down the scrolling to find them. Once you have a timestamp you can remove the filter and look into surrounding events that might have a clue on what's causing the issue.

5. chdsl

Reputations:
    How to insert an image here?

6. chdsl

Reputations:
    The critical
    Sorry, couldn't post the image here. [​IMG]
    I got the image through

7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    I usually just capture it and paste it into the text field.

If you need to upload / post a link I use imgur.com/upload ad then right click to get the image address and then use the photo icon to put the link in to display the picture here.

upload_2021-12-30_10-6-29.png

8. chdsl

Reputations:
    I got the image through. Please have a look. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

The device Kionix 3-axis accelerometer in Keyboard (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  9. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Looks similar to the issue I was having and thought it was the power brick but ended up being a driver issue IIRC it was an Intel GPU driver causing the issue. I figured out it was a driver issue by booting into Linux on a live CD for a couple of days and not having any issues with the HW side of things.

10. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    I'm assuming the non kernel entries are the throttlestop entries.