Can The Lenovo Y580 Be Beaten For The Price?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Clippersfan86, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achusaysblessyou

Achusaysblessyou eecs geek ftw :D

Reputations:
    I'd like to chime in and recommend the Sager NP9130 (a.k.a. Clevo P151EM) has a 670M and the bare-bones one with a 3610 comes to $1100, you can purchase it at LPC-Digital or XoticPC or any other reseller, wouldn't recommend you purchase from Sager, come join us on the sager forum, esp. the owner's thread if you have any questions:

Sager and Clevo Laptop Forums - Sager and Clevo Notebook Computer Discussions

Feel free to PM me, oh, and I can play D3 at pretty much high settings w/ 60 FPS at 1080p and BF3 at low w/ 60 FPS also at 1080p, w/o OCing

2. helpmedecide

helpmedecide Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The Lenovo Y580 will offer the best price to performance ratio. Lenovo in general has built a reputation for providing powerful hardware at low prices. There is no other laptop out there with a GTX 660M for $900.

However, I would urge you to take a holistic approach when buying a laptop, considering factors such as the display, temperatures, noise, ports, etc.

3. Clippersfan86

Clippersfan86 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I did factor in things such as that and from what I hear liked the Y580. Thanks for the opinion, I appreciate it.

4. DaCM

DaCM Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you mean an mSATA SSD drive, that will basically cache the frequently used programs and make those SSD-fast, so in general operation probably she will be better off than with the 7200rpm HDD, but when using freshly installed / rarely used apps it'll be a bit slower.

Also I forgot to mention that some people had problems with the HDD overheating on the Y580 because it's very unfortunately placed, between the GPU and the CPU. Other than this it's a great machine, so congrats for getting it :) .

5. Clippersfan86

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info man, really appreciate it. Is it true though that if I game regularly (let's say 6-8 hours a week) that the life of the laptop will be less than 5 years? If so that sucks! Didn't realize laptops were so weak.

6. avanish11

avanish11 Panda! ^_^

Reputations:
    Not necessarily. Laptops can be fragile to begin with, so there's no guarantee of it lasting 5 years even if you never game, so add regular stress and high heat levels to that and some things will probably fail more quickly. Now with that said, it is possible to have a gaming laptop last more than 5 years, just use a laptop cooler, don't overclock it too much, and don't drop it or anything like that.

7. Clippersfan86

Reputations:
    Can 660m even be overclocked? That allows better gaming right? Is there a program for free that can overclock automatically for a noob like me?

8. Baller4life

Baller4life Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there a way to overclock the processor on the Y580? Because if I am correct, unlike other gaming laptops, it doesnt have a dedicated "Turbo" button or whatever you want to call it.

9. Androyed

Androyed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My advise: don't overlock. Only if you have a very specific reason. It's like people who buy laptops with 16GB RAM just because it is the most they can get. If there is no reason to overlock, just don't do it. Certainly if you don't really know what it means.

The GTX 660M CAN be overlocked, yes. But you won't magically be able to run games that you couldn't run before. There will only be a slight increase in FPS that's only worth it if you really have a reason. You don't want your GPU to overheat.

The Turbo button is for the fan, not for the GPU. It basically means your fan is going to make a lot of noise for a while to cool your laptop down.

10. Clippersfan86

Reputations:
    I just hope this 660m will stay at.least decent for 5 years. Right now on game it cant run on high with high fps is Witcher 2. Reports say 26 to 30 fps on high. You guys think it will at.least be able to run most new games on medium for next few years?

Also Andro you said it's not worth it but how come almost everybody overclocks? I want my 660 to be a 675 :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.