Can someone in my home network hack into my computer?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by nanotech, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MoabUtah

MoabUtah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since they have physical access to your PC (sounds like they do), it would be much easier to hack it sitting in front of it, rather than over the network.

2. AppleUsr

AppleUsr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if this is a fear from a roommate possibly hacking you i would find a new place to live. life is way to stressful to have to come home to people you dont trust. as someone else mentioned it would be easier for them to have access to your room and do it that way rather then over a network.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's what they'd have you believe! =p

And yes.

4. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    It's really easy. If they're already in your house, all they need is an axe.

But seriously, who the hell are you living with that might hack your computer?

Are you a CIA agent?

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Configuring as a public network was smart.

It's not THAT easy and there are ways to defend against it. You should also look into using HTTPS instead of HTTP as a way to prevent them from looking at what you're doing online.

6. tuηay

tuηay o TuNaY o

Reputations:
    Quite intresting therad.

7. clone63

clone63 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Slow down, don't swamp the guy with information. And don't get so technical :p

Are you concerned about people seeing what your doing ONLINE (what sites you visit, etc) or looking at what is saved on your computer?
    Do you have access or exclusive control of the router?

A VPN might help you with your internet concerns, so long as they can't access the router. Even then it may still help, I haven't had involvement with them and security in local terms.
    If you can control the router (and allowed to do so without suspicion) make sure the log on is something other than default, so you can control who changes what on the network.
    As for files on your computer, there are encryption programs that might be helpful.. I've never even considered one however, so that's the extent of my expertise.

8. Hellhog

Hellhog Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it possible in IE or FF to set every site to run as HTTPS? Whenever I have an option to run a site as HTTPS (facebook, twitter, windows live, etc.) I choose, however, is there a way to default every website to HTTPS?

9. olyteddy

olyteddy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HTTPS Everywhere | Electronic Frontier Foundation (for FF)

10. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Protocol(whatever it is) is a two party thing so there is nothing that can be done from the 'client' side alone. TOR is the closest one can get.

Or you can do it like me of setting up a squid server on an VPS which is connected via openvpn. I use this setup to register google voice as well as in a few occasions getting through some non-free wifi hotspots via ip over DNS.