Can I flash vbios from MSI to Dell ?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by melchieor, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melchieor

melchieor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi , I am new to the world of vbios flashing etc and need some help. I bought an Alienware 17 R5 (2013 I think is R5) and love it. I do need some help though. Yes I performed a search and even searched google (although I am not a search expert) and wasn't able to find the answer to my question. Can I buy an aftermarket MXM 970M card that was flashed for MSI / CLEVO and put it on my Alienware 17? Will it boot? Also in my searching I wasn't able to find the vbios for the Dell cards. Please help.

2. simonmpoulton

simonmpoulton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In theory it should work without flashing but bear in mind you may have to modify the drivers to get it to work.

3. melchieor

melchieor Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. What does modifying the drivers do? What needs to be modified? I apologize for the questions.

4. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Modifying the drivers to install, incase the regular nVidia drivers do not install when you run setup. They might not find any hardware they are looking for. They look for instructions in a certain few files, if your hardware ID is not a match it won't install. DELL for instance, with Alienware, for the longest time, had a mismatched hardware ID/system ID for the 900 series. people has to modify a driver so they could install it.

5. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats very easy so don't event worry about it. Better be sure about compatibility. There was some guy with msi 780m afaik and it didn't worked well. Or maybe that was 680m? I don't remember check forum.

6. melchieor

melchieor Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there a document on how to modify the drivers? Since I have a 2013 Alienware , I believe they weren't made with the 900M series so I think a modification of the drivers would have to happen. Also is this only regarding the nvidia drivers on the Dell site or is this in regards to Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia site?

@GodlikeRU:
    How do I find out about compatibility of the card?

7. melchieor

melchieor Newbie

Reputations:
    One last thing. If the card is flashed to an MSI CLEVO is there a way I can flash it back to Dell using my Alienware?

8. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just search the forum about MSI cards. There should be some information about 970M

Drivers are applicable to all laptops. Just Nvidia restricts them to make you a little harder to upgrade notebook and not buying a new one. Nvidia installer checks if your laptop is in compatible list: EG AW 17R2 + 970M = Compatbile
    AW 17R1 + 970M = Error

You can use already modded drivers on the forum that don't care about compatiblity (lol :D) or mod it by yourself. If you want to do it manually just search for nvdmi.inf nvidia driver mod. Im currently using 353.06 modded by me. It's about 10 minutes if you know where to look.

9. Narkoleptik

Narkoleptik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there verification that a Clevo/MSI 970m will work unflashed in an AW 17 2013?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.