Can anyone please tell me what the best 7mm SSD is?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by person400000, Sep 19, 2012.

?

Can anyone please tell me what the best 7mm SSD is?

1. Samsung 830

23 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. Crucial m4

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Intel 520

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. OCZ Vertex 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. person400000

person400000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Considering that...

a) The Samsung 830 is a powerhungry excuse of an SSD (if/when pushed hard)...
    b) The Sandforce based (Intel, OCZ) SSD's are slower at capacities larger than 240GB (instead of same/faster)...
    c) The very reliable Crucial M4 is in your list...
    d) The TP X230T needs as much help with battery life as it can (you do have the six cell battery, right?)...

The only one I would consider is the Crucial M4 512GB SSD for your use.

There really is no other option if you want to enjoy all/most of what an SSD is supposed to be offering (low power usage, high performance, reliability/durability, etc.) in a notebook environment.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't believe OCZ is even a choice.

4. grumpy42

grumpy42 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  5. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess you dont mind BSOD from time to time at resume after sleep with the M4 ??

6. Jocelyn84

Jocelyn84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Just have to mention that I have never trusted 'sleep' in computers since ... oh, around 1995 with Windows 95.

This is just one of the first things I disable after a clean Win7x64 SP1 install (along with hibernate, system restore and UI 'animations').

If this (allowing the system to sleep) is the only situation that will make an M4 BSOD - lol... I would suggest to simply disable it. :)

BTW, of all the suggestions so far, the M4 512GB model is still the best overall performer and the best price too imo.

Jocelyn84 - good prices you have for those SSD's.

8. person400000

person400000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Might as well list all the 7mm SSD's.
    Is it 7mm?
    How long?
    Thanks for the offer.

Plextor 256GB M5S Series Solid State Drive SATA 6.0 Gb-s
    Amazon.com: Plextor 256GB M5S Series Solid State Drive SATA 6.0 Gb-s PX-256M5S: Computers & Accessories

Plextor Launches M5P SSD, First to Market with New Marvell 9187 Controller | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

According to this Plextor MP5 is 7mm apparently.
    Vertex 3 has 7mm models but Vertex 4 does not.
    Any benchmarks or comparisons to other SSD's?

How do you edit a poll on this forum?
    I thought I researched all the 7mm SSD's.
    They need to put their 7mm spec more out front.
    I would've added "Other" in retrospect.

Now the votes are 1 for crucial m4 and 8 for Samsung 830.
    I wish they weren't such a silent majority.

Alright, thanks for the advice everyone.

9. grumpy42

grumpy42 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From your first post, it seems that you are interested in a high capacity SSD (~512GB). I too was recently looking to purchase such a drive, but ultimately abandoned the idea (for now). Obviously, I want a fast drive, but I also want a drive that is reliable and won't adversely affect battery life. It seems that most high capacity drives have fairly poor power consumption (even worse than mechanical drives). Also, you have to be careful when looking at reviews of drives. Most reviews will only include data for the more popular sizes (i.e. 128GB, 256GB), but the performance numbers can vary quite a bit depending on the capacity. Some 512GB are faster than their smaller counterparts while others are slower (i.e. Intel 520) and power consumption seems to go up with capacity.

The M3P seemed to hit the sweet spot in terms of performance and power consumption, but it was discontinued in favor the M5P which is not really that impressive power consumption wise. I am probably asking too much but given the prices of these drive I rather wait and get exactly what I want (if possible).

The last I heard was that the M5P was pushed back to mid-September. So it could be hitting the retail shelves at any time

10. Jocelyn84

Jocelyn84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

The 128GB is out of stock on Newegg and it's looking like 1-2 weeks elsewhere. It's already listed for drop shipping on a few other sites - AntaresPro.com: Quick Search

Samsung will also be releasing the 840 soon.

If you're by chance using info from Anantech reviews, don't. Anandtech SSD reviews are worthless and it's no mistake that they're the only reviewers of the M5 Pro where it came up a little short. Anand disables EIST/Turbo, while Kristian (Plextor reviewer) leaves them enabled, meaning there's no consistency and the variables that are not being tested are not being controlled aka no apples to apples comparison. I'd also keep in mind that an SSD is going to be in idle state most of the time, due it finishing the job very quickly, so it's generally the best indicator of power consumption. Of course this doesn't apply to workstation/power users.

Power consumption comparison
    Consommation et efficacité énergétique - Comparatif SSD 2012 : 20 SSD SATA 6G 120 et 128 Go - HardWare.fr
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.