Can anybody help Fan Issue with P870DM-g (980m G-sync)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by MartinMac1982, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Your fan profiles are messed up because of CCC (Clevo Control Center)

1) Download the Clevo Control Center for your system: https://clevoeast.blob.core.windows.net/east-driver/P870DMG/Others/Control.zip

Make sure to right click on the file(s) you just downloaded, go to Properties, then hit Unblock from the bottom right as it may be blocked since it was downloaded from the internet, if you don't do this before you run the file or extract it, then it may not install correctly.

To prevent this automatic blocking of files in the future so you don't have to go unblocking every file you download to ensure it runs properly, follow the guide in this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/are-you-sure-you-want-to-run-this-file-yes-or-no.825668/

2) Extract the ZIP file after you have unblocked it,

3) Edit the OEM.INI file in the Clevo Control Center driver's directory before you install it:

Change SupportXTUFanTable=1 to SupportXTUFanTable=0

4) Uninstall your current CCC then reboot

5) Perform an NVRAM Reset:

To perform a soft NVRAM Reset without having to open the laptop and remove the CMOS battery:

Hold FN + D + Power button for 5 seconds, then keep the FN + D buttons pressed and release the Power key, after 30 seconds, you should see the NVRAM reset message on your screen.

Another user also mentioned:

6) Set your BIOS options to back to what they were

7) Install Control Center (AKA Hotkey Driver)

8) Reboot

If that doesn't work or you need to see if there is an update Prema BIOS for your machine, please contact our tech support on support@hidevolution.com

2. MartinMac1982

MartinMac1982 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks I will try all of the above when I get out of work .

3. MartinMac1982

Reputations:
    Attempted to download the control app you linked but upon opening the file with winrar get files corrupt error..

Edit..managed to find a different version of the control center and make the changes you advised and I also did the nvram reset. 5.001.0.47 was the version I was able to locate and install..

But no joy same thing again I fire up a game or in this case (valley benchmark) temps start to soar and the fans do not kick on. Atm this is basically a paper weight , that or I stick the fans on maximum manually EVERY time I want to play a game which is kinda ridiculous.

Waiting for a response from HID to see if they can flash newer versions of the GPU and SYSTEM bioses for me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  4. MartinMac1982

Reputations:
    Also just browsing through the forums for solutions I found this thread which, although is happening to a guy who has a desktop 980 in his laptop , is pretty much the identical issue I'm having that Mr. Fox is confirming is a known issue in the 980m cards on that laptop.

Considering that I used to have 2 x 980m's in sli and one of them had completely died altogether, I'm assuming this might have something to do with it .... Here's the thread ....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/np9870-s-p870dm-g-nvidia-gtx-980-overheating.789202/page-3

5. MartinMac1982

Reputations:
    Well I provided all the Info they asked to HID in the form of my bios versions. Crickets. I now have a rather large paperweight, unless I want to make spreadsheets.

6. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    You can’t still set fans to max when gaming?

did you try hwmonitor to control the fan(s)?

In their defense it is a 4+ year old system, but if you’re the original owner it should have lifetime support?

7. MartinMac1982

Reputations:
    Yes I can but that's ridiculous. Regarding it being 4 years old. They had mentioned that if I sent them my current bios versions , which I did they would see if there is an update for them , I'd update the bios's myself but alas we are not given access to them. Would rather just flash the stock bioses to them tbh now , but I don't know what file to use.

Wow I didn't know that "lifetime tech support" but I just read on their website they do supposedly offer that . Yes original owner.

8. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    Make sure to keep following up while also taking a look at hwmonitor to control the primary fan. If you just want to flash a stock P870DM-G bios, check the clevo bios thread or the P870DM-g thread and ask there but I would press for the last Prema revision for the P870DM-G.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.