Can anybody help Fan Issue with P870DM-g (980m G-sync)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by MartinMac1982, Oct 16, 2020.

1. MartinMac1982

MartinMac1982 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I've been having this issue for a little while and i cant figure out for the life of me what is causing it, now normally when you game your GPU fan(s) on a laptop will ramp up the more the card gets used, but on my P870DM-g my fan barely spins up , letting the GPU go all the way to 80+ degrees C whilst gaming , now here's the funny part , if I hit FN + number 1 on the keyboard the fans spin up to max and the temps drop (whilst gaming in DCS World) to a much nicer 60-70 ish depending on the intensity of what's going on in the game/the settings I've chosen.

Now is there any way to set this how I think it should be so that when your GPU hits a certain temp the GPU fan ramps up???

I have tried using afterburner (doesn't even let my use the fan control options), Precision X1 (fan control options are usable but don't actually do anything) and the Clevo control center (allows me to set the profiles but when on automatic again it doesn't ramp up the fans just leaves them at a very slow speed which fails to cool the GPU.

Any suggestions are appreciated as I'm at my wits end right now!

2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    You need to select the overclocking fan profile in the control center (Some times it needs to install XTU).
    Check out your BIOS/EC/EC2 maybe it needs updates.
    Check control center version, try this one CCC_v5.0001.1.76.exe or check this mods from j95 https://premamod.wordpress.com/category/j95/

try to replace CPU.ini with the file attached.

Attached Files:

• CPU.zip
      File size:
      402 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. MartinMac1982

Reputations:

Thanks for the info , though I'm not sure where I would find the latest bios. My system bios is the prema mod on(does he release updates to it) this is the bios my laptop shipped with , same with the vbios, premas too.

Will try the other suggestions and let you know. I had it set to "performance" mode in control center

Dr. AMK likes this.
  4. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    "performance" mode is fine but you need to use overlooking fan profile as I mentioned. If you can't see it, install XTU and restart the laptop, then you should see it in the fan profiles.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. MartinMac1982

Reputations:
    Yeah that didn't work either. Installed xtu , the overclock fan profile showed up in the control center, selected it and the temps jumped up again without the fans coming on, only way i can get the gpu fan to engage properly was to hit FN + 1

6. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Last time this issue happened with me, I reflashed the EC/EC2 and that fixed the problem. You can get back to your vendor to get the right files for you. It's an easy task but you need the right files for your machine.

7. MartinMac1982

Reputations:
    Yep I've emailed them but I've had the worst luck with my vendor HIDEvolution.

Hopefully they can supply me with the right files.

You don't happen to know where I can get either the Prema bios (system and vbios) from or even the stock bioses at this point just so I can have a working laptop again

8. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
  9. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    If you're running Prema BIOS (since it is a HIDEvolution system), you may have to set up a remote flash from them.

You can also try calling or see if @Spartan@HIDevolution can point you in the right direction.

Try HWmonitor for fan controls. I had to use it with my P870DM-G when I had a 980 Desktop and Dsanke BIOS installed which refused to see/acknowledge the second fan for that card.

10. MartinMac1982

Reputations:

Yep I'm running the prema bios on both the video card (only using 1 x 980m now as the second one died).

I believe I also have the prem bios as my same system bios as it says Prema at the bottom, I have no idea if I'm on the latest version of premas bioses but I highly doubt I am given the age of the laptop.

I have reached out to HID's support so I will see what happens. Thanks guys.

Martin