Can a Remote Desktop be Traced to Original Computer?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by insidemanpoker, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you have a main computer at location A and a laptop, B, that you travel with, can B be discovered if it connecting via remote desktop to A?

Basically, could a site tell that B even exists and isn't located at the same place as A or will the only thing a 3rd party site could ever see is the location of the home computer (A) being remotely accessed? Is the laptop that is remotely connecting to A totally invisible?

Sorry for my terrible working but hopefully the question is clear :)

2. newsposter

newsposter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yes. the original machine can easily be identified by logs on either computer or on any of the networking equipment in between.

Why?

3. insidemanpoker

Reputations:
    Ugh, sorry I was unclear but that is not what I meant. Can a third party identify the laptop in this case? Not the network and not your two computers.

Meaning, say you live in Toronto but are travelling with your laptop and access a website or some kind of internet software via a remote connection through your toronto computer. Can that website or software recognize that you have accessed it via a remote connection or does all it see is a computer from toronto accessing it?

4. blue68f100

blue68f100 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Depends on how it's setup. If your using a remote connection to your home, and access the internet is it going through your home or remote? In most cases it goes from the remote, direct connect vs proxy. You can set it up so you do VPN to your home and route all traffic through your home.

So to answer you question YES if not setup right.

5. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    All the service would see is the computer from Toronto accessing it. It can't trace back "hops" in the access chain.

I'm assuming you're wanting to get around some website regional locks, and the bad news is that remote desktop isn't generally fast enough for video playback, even over local ethernet.

6. insidemanpoker

Reputations:
    Exactly and ugh. Is it really that slow? Is there no way around this?

7. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    Yes it is that slow, and no, there aren't any good ways to re-stream video without falling afoul of copyright laws, which means we can't talk about them here. The other limitation is most home connections have very limited upstream speeds, which makes them even worse for streaming video.

8. zippyzap

zippyzap Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Instead of doing Remote Desktop, what about proxy server? That should just redirect the data stream, not an actual Windows desktop.

BTW I think it may be how Remote Desktop handles stuff that makes it slow, not necessarily inherent in remote access. For instance, OnLive is kind of like Remote Desktop for gaming - something which will not work (not for FPS anyways!) with Remote Desktop. However, it basically turns the screen into a streaming video. I don't think normal desktop use would look that great.

9. insidemanpoker

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies. What would you say combines the following: Fast connection and undetectable to the sites.

It does NOT need to be so undetectable that like law enforcement or something wouldn't be able to figure it out. But just in the eyes of the software, if I want them to always think I am in one location, regardless of where I am travelling to, what is the best way to go about this?

I have heard VPNs can be detected or can drop, but I have no idea how that works. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

10. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What, precisely, are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to browse standard websites using the remote system - basic http transactions on port 80 - or are you trying to do something else?

Generally speaking, if you're just using remote desktop to log onto a windows system remotely, and then you use the browser on that remote windows system to go browsing on normal websites, those websites will not see the remote desktop connection, all they will see is http traffic back and forth from the system you've logged onto using remote desktop.

However, if you try to use your local system as something more than just a glorified remote terminal, then you might expose information about your local system that would indicate that the system you logged onto remotely was not the ultimate source of the traffic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.