1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

camera on Latitude D830

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by brayker, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brayker

brayker Newbie

Reputations:
    We now have Skype on our computer to keep in touch with some family in Balitmore. Once we started using it, the computer said it could not detect the camera. What do I need to do to have the computer 'activate' the camera? I've looked everywhere I can think of. Not that computer savy so any help will be appreciated.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Is the webcam listed under Imaging Devices in Device Manager? If not, check the BIOS setup to make sure that it is not disabled (assuming that it is a built-in webcam). If Device Manager is listing an unconfigured device then perhaps you need to install the webcam driver.

John

3. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does the D830 have an integrated webcam? Or, are you trying to use an external camera? Does the webcam work with other applications?

4. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've never heard of any of the D-series Latitudes having webcams; perhaps the OP is confused with the light sensor (which is used to adjust LCD illumination intensity, but really doesn't work very well!).

5. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Me neither, but a quick search about the D830 revealed some (questionable) sources claiming that it has an integrated webcam. My gut instinct says no webcam too.

I agree with the light sensor though, when I first got the D620, I had to check the manual to find out that it was just a light sensor.

6. Joel

Joel coffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

Reputations:
    No, there is not webcam on the D series Latitude. Some people do get confused with the light sensor, but after reading a little, they soon find out, well it's only a light sensor. Could OP please verify whether it is an external camera, to lessen our confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.