Cam girl looking for a laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Missymajor, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Missymajor

Missymajor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys!

I am going to start working as a cam girl in just a few months and am searching for a good laptop that can handle hours of HD webcam streaming, some occasional video editing, and also Second Life bc I want to start playing that in my spare time. I'm online A LOT so my computer will get tons of use and I want something that can handle it and last a long time.

I realize that a desktop would be best for all of this but a laptop would be a lot more convenient for camming because I can move it around and take it from room to room.

I was looking at a few on Amazon. What do you guys think about this ASUS?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01578ZK9A/

I'm looking to spend $600-$1200 and I would prefer a 17 inch one but 15.6 would be fine too

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    click on its right and select the 2nd option which is for $1182 USD as it comes with an SSD which is way faster than the HDD in the one you posted. Not that it would matter for webcam chats but the latter also has double the VRAM (Video RAM), the more the better when gaming.

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's at the top of your budget, but the Dell M6800 might be worth a look. It's a business class notebook, so it'll be well built and supported. You might want to look in the Dell Outlet too if you don't mind a return. You may get a better price there. Hit the Dell Outlet Twitter account for coupons too as they can offer significant savings. HP has some 17" business class notebooks as well, but they're beyond your budget. Otherwise, the 17" segment tends to offer more gaming oriented notebooks, so you'll have more options if you can go with a 15" notebook.

Lastly, you may wish to consider the FAQ stuck at the top of this forum and post back. That would help us narrow the field. Good luck and welcome to NBR.

Jarhead, pitz and Ultra Male like this.
  4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
  5. Missymajor

Missymajor Newbie

Reputations:
    START COPY
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1100 or less

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

15"-17", preferably 17"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:

No

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Camming, Second Life, browsing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Just to different rooms in house, rarely outside home

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Second Life

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

2+

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Would prefer to see it

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

Not sure

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Either will do

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Yes, nothing too rugged looking

15) When are you buying this laptop?

In the next month or so

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

3+ years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

As much as I need for Second Life and camming

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No

6. yotano21

yotano21 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would look at a external cam to hook up to the top of the screen. All laptop cams are really that bad. The better cam you get with HD will make you much more money than that laptop camera. My girl friend does it for extra income and I saw her income increase when she got a better camera, she has the Logitech c920

And get something that is light weight, you will be moving the laptop around to different places.

7. tribaljet

tribaljet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Definitely agreed. Both the c920 as well as the newer c930e are stellar webcams and will provide amazing image quality for the viewers, well worth considering.

Edit: While the integrated laptop webcams are better nowadays, the webcams suggested above are leaps and bounds better than any integrated webcam.

8. Missymajor

Missymajor Newbie

Reputations:
    I wasn't planning on using the integrated cam and already bought the c920. Just need a computer to use it on.

9. yotano21

yotano21 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The laptop in your link is a very good laptop and should last you the 3 years. I dont see anything wrong with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.