Calling out to Alienware Support Where are our Official AMD 7970m Crossfire drivers ??

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Speedy Gonzalez, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashley-aitch

ashley-aitch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I too am having this brightness issue with a single 7970m on a m17x r3. I have tried using multiple drivers, multiple settings in my bios (enabling IGD with sg/peg) and tried using hwinfo.

The one breakthrough i have had is that when i get the grey lines after clocking too high i managed to get back to desktop without a reboot and the brightness was at its fullest. but when i used fn+5 to go down then try to go back up it was back to being dim.

I have now found if i close my lid and send the computer to sleep then wake it the screen is also working at the correct brightness... so this must mean its a bios related issue???

Thanks for any help

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I still think it is drivers, but it could be a buggy vBIOS as well. AMD has had random issues with display brightness controls for a very long time. That was a constant issue with 6970M and 6990M GPUs. AMD often leaves important code missing from their drivers that affect this.
    Jeff, you might be onto something.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  3. residualvoltage

residualvoltage Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My recent run ln 3dmak11 was like that when it gets to the pillars for the first physics test its flickering now and didnt before. Ive seen a few things similar to that video while using mine. Are all these cards damaged? Im getting more and more discouraged on 7970m.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    The space ships have their cloaking device engaged, LOL. :p :mad:

5. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Remember the old but true adage, "you get what you pay for". Couldn't be more true with AMD.

Sent from my GT-N7000

6. Arestavo

Arestavo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guess it paid to wait! I got my M18X R2 on the 14th of June, and have had none of these issues with either of my 7970Ms, other than a few hits and misses with crossfire and unstable drivers. Which have been resolved with the desktop 12.7 BETAs.

Yes, it does suck that QC is apparently very lacking. RMA the things 'til you get some that work!

7. residualvoltage

residualvoltage Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That soubds like good advice

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    There have been a few lucky ducks out there. Mostly not so lucky. Seems there are plenty of Clevo owners that are suffering with 7970M functionality issues as well. Multiple hardware exchanges until getting parts that work correctly doesn't seem like a good option and doesn't speak well of the GPU. If that is what it takes to luck into a good pair of video cards, replacement part availability will become problematic very rapidly and people will be waiting weeks for parts to become available due to stock shortages.

The fact that improvement came with new drivers, although not enough to call it resolution, holds a glimmer of hope the problem is primarily incompetent drivers. I will report on my testing with thermals after the pads and paste arrive, but I am hoping that will be a cure for erratic functionality problems.

9. Arestavo

Arestavo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox, why wouldn't you want what you paid for? At the very least, if after 3 or 4 RMAs a lemon can be declared. Maybe not for those that outright purchased the 7970M by itself, but at least for those that got new machines.

I've seen some of the temps reported by those with the 7970M on other than Alienware - and it seems that those manufacturers cooling solutions are absolute crud compared to Alienware's.

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It should be more than obvious that I want what I have to work, otherwise I would not be busting my tail looking for solutions. You've not been around here long enough to know to what lengths some of us have gone to fix problems that benefit the community at large. Part swapping based on assumptions benefits no one. The 7970M CrossFire setup has potential to be awesome, and when it works right it is pretty awesome.

It would be a lot better, and less frustrating, to fix what we have; whether through drivers that work right or correcting latent cooling issues. Rushing to the assumption that the cards are defective and swapping them for others that might be the same or worse is not a good approach. There is an underlying cause that must be addressed and it will not be effectively addressed through multiple part exchanges.

We are operating on an assumption that the temps being reported to our monitoring tools are accurate. They may not be be accurate. Additionally, those temps are for the core only. There are other components on the cards that must be properly cooled. If they are not, they can cause the issues we are seeing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.