Calling ALL G7 7588/5588 (8750H) owners! PLEASE LOOK

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mnewxcv, Sep 1, 2018.

1. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess dell is not caring about its power users. Will be getting an MSI next time.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  2. kekkis

kekkis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So my dell support case went as follows: I said i get only 50% performance on all benchmarks when running on battery. Windows power profiles or dell power manger dont help gaining the performance. They tried everything and replaced motherboard and battery. Eventually they said its by design and refused to continue. That took over a month. Also the reply from the support next level person was that if i want full performance I need to use the windows slider to use best performance. So frustrating to realize they just bounce it around and nobody reads what the case is about. The exact problem is that the windows slider nor the dell power manager profiles do not help at all to get the cpu to not drop to 0,89ghz constantly.

TL;DR; Dell says xps 13 9360 i7 8550 only has 50% performance on battery by design.

3. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've seen posts that choosing the default DELL power plan solves performcane on battery problem. Can someone try this? I don't have this laptop but I'm planning to get the new version.

4. kekkis

Reputations:
  5. mnewxcv

Reputations:
  6. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    15 watts is Dell's standard limitation on battery power. No way around that short of a BIOS bypass/rewrite/etc...

7. mnewxcv

Reputations:
    from the notebookcheck review of the dell g7 7588:

"Intel's 8th gen Core i7-8750H has become the new gold standard for gaming laptops, supplanting the Core i7-7700HQ. The new six-core CPU brings a massive leap in performance over the older silicon, scoring about 50% higher in Cinebench R15's multicore test. The 8750H also keeps pace with the much more expensive Core i9-8950HK in the same benchmark. On battery, Cinebench scores hover around 1000, or about 93% of the machine's performance when plugged in."

How would this be possible with a 15w cap? With the 15w cap, I can only get between 490-600 in cinebench depending on my throttlestop settings.

8. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That may have been an early BIOS revision which has been changed later on to protect the battery from discharging too fast.

Maleko48 likes this.
  9. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you tried this:
    Screenshot_20190223-080844.png
    https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-G7-CPU-stuck-at-0-8-GHz-on-Battery/td-p/6111521/page/7

SEE NBR THREADS:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ual-custom-control-of-the-laptop-fans.827106/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ol-fans-on-dell-laptops-under-windows.805317/

ALSO:

Have you tried rolling back your BIOS? How far back can you roll it if you have?

Either way, the clock speed glitches and power limiting issues seem to be common on newer gen Dell laptops, G5, G7, XPS, etc... Dell's overbearing firmware along with Intel's ridiculous locked down multi-control methods are the primary culprits.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  10. kekkis

Reputations:
    Thanks for the report. For me the main thing is that it prevents the throttling to 0,89ghz which is like 3W. Could be that its because it also has the fans on high. Seems that we are both on this and dell forum with the same issue :) Ill see what ec fancontrol with speedfan controlled fans does.