Calling ALL G7 7588/5588 (8750H) owners! PLEASE LOOK

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mnewxcv, Sep 1, 2018.

1. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I attemped to change the UEFI variables for IMON Slope/Offset to see if I can trick the CPU in to reporting less power being used. I did this for my 8550u in my HP laptop and it worked great but so far the values stick but the reported power consumption is the same. Therfore my CPU is still using 60 watts on AC and 15 on DC. I dumped the BIOS and am currently looking for an "On/Off" switch for voltage regulation but no luck. Also no luck in finding battery TDP options as well. If anyone wants the text dump from the UEFI user selection lists, which shows ALL options; let me know and you can take a look.

Maleko48 likes this.
  2. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Glad to see this thread getting traction. The laptop is useless for anything more than web browsing on battery.

3. mnewxcv

Reputations:
    Based on the results in the original post, even those running 1.0.1 had this issue.

4. mnewxcv

Reputations:
    If that were the case, why would notebookchecks sample get 1000 points in cinebench on battery?

5. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perhaps that main board had a different BIOS version and/or drivers than the current production models offer.

FWIW:

My Dell 7577 w/ 7700HQ averages around 10W on battery with general computing and maxes out at 15W on battery while running Cinebench/heavy computing. It scored 601cb on battery and previously maxed out around 752cb on AC power. I honestly think it comes down to Dell ensuring a certain minimum run time on their minimally spec'd batteries.

20181004_213530.jpg

QUESTION:

Are all of you using the Dell-issued drivers from Dell's website or downloading the drivers directly from Intel/Nvidia/etc?

Also have any of you tried turning on Ultimate Power scheme or whatever the hidden one is that takes a registry key to unlock?

Also also, has anyone tried installing BitSum Process Lasso and turning on its "Highest Performance" profile? I personally use that option to toggle my power scheme and it works well.

Also also also, how are you all setting your default Windows power profile slider? Ever since they introduced that stupid slider it's been a PITA to keep my machine running the way I want it to. It just seems to act wonky imo.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  6. kekkis

kekkis Newbie

Reputations:
    I also have the same issue with xps 13 i7 8550u. Cinebench is roughly half with battery power and full cpu load on battery causes to throttle to 0,79ghz. Numbers on cinebench are around 600 and 250. Same ratio is there when encoding camera raw to jpg on lightroom.
    Regarding this the 15W power limit would make sense but for me it seems that when it hits that limit it throttles down to 0,79ghz and 3W power for cpu. At 15W it would run at around 2ghz i think.

7. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While what I said still does technically hold true in general when it comes to batteries, the more I think about it, the more I lean towards: Dell just wants to guarantee its battery life claims and its user experience for the average user (who doesn't need much actual compute power to be satisfied with browsing facebook/email/etc) moreso than power users that prefer optimum performance all the time and 15 watts seems to fit the bill all around to allow for decent battery life, not too much heat, and still keep clock speeds at an acceptable range.

As far as throttling down to 3 watts and 0.79GHz, have you messed with your ICC settings on Throttle Stop or Intel XTU? If those are set too low they can cause loss of clock speed under heavier loads.

8. kekkis

kekkis Newbie

Reputations:
    Well yeah sure its always good to take care of the average user but thats why theres different power profiles such as optimized and "ultra performance". Also xps stands for Xtreme Performance System so there should be performance possible :)
    Dell just replaced the battery and motherboard along with all the soldered components and theres fresh windows so theres no cpu messes done with throttelstop or intel xtu. At least the technical support does not seem to be sure if its working as intended or not. Ill post a link to a graph of me running lightroom export to jpg first with plugged power(red) and then battery(green).
    https://imgur.com/a/iGme8NK

9. ralba

ralba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I'm asking dell to add in next BIOS release for all G-Series laptops (G3/G5/G7) the same thermal management system as XPS line with several cooling and processor performance options, this might help us to keep better control of thermals and fan operation (Cool, Quiet, Balanced and High Performance) as there is no way as it is to control it, I updated my G3 to bios 1.4.0 and fans were crazy, had to come back to 1.3.0 to get it working properly.

If you support this idea, please leave your Kudos/Likes there to show them that there are more people interested, the more people we get involved better our odds to make it happen!

https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...nt-system-to-G3-G5-G7-BIOS/m-p/6202919#M38864

Image of what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

Thank you!!!

10. kekkis

kekkis Newbie

Reputations:
    I tested my xps 13 on linux and i cannot reproduce the problem of throttling to 0,8ghz. In windows its consistently happening when running on battery power but on linux it throttles sensibly. I ran sysbench with 8 threads for 120 seconds and it started with 3,5ghz and then gradually throttling down to 2,5ghz where it remained. At that point temps were at roughly 85-90. Behavior is exactly same on battery power and charger. I cant say for sure if the sysbench method equals my cinebench test on windows but at least it causes full cpu load on all cores. On windows the behavior occurs with any cpu intensive task(lightroom, resolve). I suggest you guys test this too if you have time. I tried with usb bootable ubuntu 18 lts. Used lm sensors and lscpu with watch command to monitor temps and frequencies. This would point the cause to some windows drivers and not firmware(bios).

Edit: I ran the same sysbench command on ubuntu subsystem on windows 10 and the throttling is there again. So running this same command "sysbench --threads=8 --time=120 cpu run" gets 355859 events on windows WSL and 689830 events on linux. Of course there might be something else slowing the linux subsystem down but i dont think it should matter that much unless something blocks it from using all cpu cores. Anyways theres the throttling down to 0,8ghz clearly present.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Maleko48 likes this.