Calling ALL G7 7588/5588 (8750H) owners! PLEASE LOOK

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mnewxcv, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Chrisloko

Chrisloko Newbie

Reputations:
    Same issue...
    1. G7
    2. 1.3.0
    3. i7 8750h
    4. 1190
    5. 301
    6. 3.5GHz
    7. 0.79 GHz
    8. AC: 78W Turbo, 45W after. Battery: 15.4W

2. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing. It seems all G7s are having this issue. I wish more people would post up results.

3. Tekigun

Tekigun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    updated my bios, chipset and intel dynamic platform and thermal framework driver and still capped at 15W on battery.

4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I added a new feature to ThrottleStop recently and I need someone with this low TDP on battery problem to do a test for me.

[​IMG]

Open up the FIVR window, find the Memory section on the right hand side, click on the Install button in that section and follow the directions to install the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder.

After that, check off the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option and press OK. Go do another Cinebench test on battery power and see if it makes any difference or are you still capped at 15W?

I am trying to find out what method is being used to limit the CPU TDP so I can try and come up with a fix.

Chrisloko and Maleko48 like this.
  5. Tekigun

Tekigun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No luck still capped at 15W

unclewebb likes this.
  6. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This does not seem random or out of the ordinary to me. Besides, why do you want to game at full power on battery in the first place?

15W limit on battery is standard even on my Dell 7577.

Have you tried uninstalling the Intel Thermal Framework software/driver altogether?

There are way too many unaddressed variables in this experiment to isolate the issues at hand. At worst, it does seem like a crappy firmware issue from Dell though. 15W limit doesn't necessarily need to cap clock speed at 800MHz but if the workload is heavy enough it might make sense I guess.

I may try messing around with this on my 7577 for comparison in the coming weeks.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  7. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't want to game on battery. I would like to edit a video without it being as slow as a dual core CPU plugged in though.

Maleko48 likes this.
  8. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Intel locks and limitations aside, 15 watts is likely a power limitation put in place by Dell to preserve the longevity of the battery's cells. And for the end user's safety (to prevent fires and runaway thermal events).

A 4 cell 56WHr battery consists of 4 lithium cells that are between 3.0V (dead) and 4.2V (fully charged). At best, that means that the battery will put out 16.8VDC fresh off a full charge and about 12VDC when dead.

The motherboard takes 19.5VDC from the power supply normally. (Probably to help keep amperage down.) I assume the motherboard can operate between 12VDC and 24VDC. Either way though, based on the power the motherboard sucks up straight from the power supply, that is not the limiting factor. The board can handle up to ~10amps or 180watts flowing into it.

What it boils down to is the battery's C rate. Those cells can only reliably output so much amperage without their voltage sagging too heavily (this causes amperage to go up and creates unnecessary additional heat as well as logical faults and glitches within the chips starving for voltage) or the cells overheating (due to the additional amperage and higher resistance created by additional heat) or their lifespan being dramatically shortened (by all of the above).

heretofore likes this.
  9. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use to have BIOS 1.01 and didn't have this TDP throttling issue on battery but since I updated to 1.2.1, it sucks. Here are my results for you

1) Dell G7 7588
    2) 1.2.1
    3) 8750H
    4)1236
    5)330
    6) 3.6ghz
    7) 2ghz
    8) AC - 64 watts
    Battery - 14.3w

This is most certainly a change in the BIOS from 1.0.1 to 1.2.1. This TDP nets me around 1.9 - 2ghz and it's SOO sluggish

Maleko48 likes this.
  10. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Yeah no luck here either.. It states PL2 is the power limit