C700 / CQ40 / CQ45 / DV4 / DV5 / DV6 / HDX18T - Insyde BIOS RECOVERY using a USB THUMBDRIVE

Discussion in 'HP' started by 0.0, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0.0

0.0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    James, if you have not tried using a FAT formatted USB flash drive instead of the floppy drive it may be worth giving it a go.

Also may be try the file name "BIOS" + extensions. Sorry I can not give you more than guesses but until someone can successfully recover using the method on this thread with a C700 or provide a different DIY recovery method then that's all I can do for now.

2. stinkyjames

stinkyjames Newbie

Reputations:
    I've managed to place 50 variations of the bios file, 30d9f34.fd, on a 4GB USB flash drive, formatted to FAT then FAT32, and haven't been lucky enough to guess the exact file name.

So as soon as someone in the know tells us exactly what file name the system board is looking for, I'll be stuck with a 5LB brick that looks a lot like a Compaq Presario C700.

Attached Files:

3. macakox

macakox Newbie

Reputations:
    stinkyjames

good news? I have the same problem!

4. f3rha4n

f3rha4n Newbie

Reputations:
    hi. i think, rather i m sure that may acer aspire 4730z/4330 has the same problem. bt now the real problem is when i try to do the blind flashing thing, insert the usb drive, and as soon as the laptop detects the usb fdd it turns off or stucks, as the power lite remains green bt everything else stops. i don't know if it even tries to to find the bios file or not. the version i have downloaded are :
    al90_114.fd
    al90_115.fd
    al90_116.fd

please i need the solution as i cant send it back all the way back to ksa from pakistan to claim warranty. :(

5. macakox

macakox Newbie

Reputations:
    YES I MADE IT!

THIS IS FOR ALL COMPAQ PRESARIO C700 SERIES
    (dedicated for stinkyjames)

well the %$·%·$' file name is: IBL80HW.FD (finally!!!!)

I used the last version of the InsydeH20 BIOS --> F.34 (30D9F34.FD)
    and my laptop is the model C770US

6. f3rha4n

f3rha4n Newbie

Reputations:
    thats good. but how did u find out which name to use for your .fd bios file?? give me some idea atleast.

7. macakox

macakox Newbie

Reputations:
    hey look
    the aspire 5315 uses the ICL50 Motherboard model and uses this filename ICL50HW.fd to made the BIOS recovery

your model uses the IAL90 or JAL90 Motherboard model, so try whit the both file names:
    - IAL90HW.FD
    - JAL90HW.FD

note: I'm almost sure with that, And do the following steps
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=284686

see ya & tell me what happened!

8. f3rha4n

f3rha4n Newbie

Reputations:
    i have already read that thread. and how did you figure out that my mb model was ial/jal90? because i think the mb model is Mobile Intel GL40 Express Chipset. and what about ****"HW".fd. is this HW necessary ??but anyway i'll try it..

ok i tried and result is the same. as soon as laptop detects a usb fdd,it kind of sleeps, because the power button power turns off, fan stops, but the green power lite remains on and the power button won't work.. same old problem :( also tried burning the file to cd-rw but it won't read it from there.

9. 0.0

0.0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congrats macakox and thanks for sharing, this should be a great help for other C700 users with failed BIOS flashes.

10. Phredrick

Phredrick Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same issue as you and have solved it. Format your USB key in FAT16 (same as just FAT). You need to put on it the latest version of the bios (1.16) which I believe you have or can download from the Euro Acer site here. Rename that file to "JAL90x64.fd" and put it on your flash drive.

Now just follow the Boot Block Recovery steps: Power down the laptop, unplug the AC cord, remove battery, insert USB drive, hold Fn+esc and plug the AC cord in, press the power button, release Fn+esc after a few seconds, and just wait. The laptop will restart after 10 minutes and you will be in business. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.